Words Hurt

*Updated 1/12/24*

Tired, exhausted, feeling drained of all life, Marinette didn't think her day could get any worse. But now on the verge of tears, she had been proven wrong.

It all happened around an hour ago. Adrien's bodyguard got akumatized. Her and Chat fought him, defeated him, and you know the rest. But it all went downhill after the battle, that was when Marinette went to check up on Adrien who was now with Nino.

Landing over by the blonde and the Dj, Ladybug wanted to make sure they were alright; and Marinette wanted to see Adrien. "Hey, i-i just wanted to make sure you're perfect... I mean pretty... oh no, I mean... ok, hehehe" she said, her face blended in with the red of her suit.

Adrien stood there patiently with a smile. "Yeah. Me and Nino are good. You didn't happen to check up to make sure out friends Marinette and Alya were safe, did you?"

Before she was able to reply, Nino nudged Adrien in the arm. Teasing him. "oooo, worried about Marinette now, aren't ya"

"Marinette? Well yeah, she's my friend" Adrien said, brushing off the comment.

Nino just stood their, raising his eyebrows. Questioning that phrase, 'she's just a friend'.

It finally hit Adrien that Nino was hinting at being worried in more than a friend way. "What?" Adrien said, growing nervous, not wanting Ladybug to think he's interested in another.

"You know what, you just seem extra worried..." Nino said, still just teasing him.

But to Adrien, being around Ladybug, even though he wasn't Chat at the moment, was making his brain all flustered. And before he knew it, words were spewing from his mouth. "Can you please drop it?! She's my friend, and just my friend. Nothing more" he said, just desperate for Nino to drop the topic. Although the moment he said it the words felt bitter on his tongue.

Frozen still, Ladybug didn't know how to respond. She hadn't really ever heard Adrien snap like that before. And the fact that he did about her civilian self, well it just hurt. Plain and simple. "Oh, um, don't worry, they're safe... Uhh, I have to go" she said, holding back tears, just long enough for her to make her grand exit before they had a chance to say anything else.

Upset with his friend, Nino didn't know what to do. He always knew of Adrien's little crush on Ladybug. Of course, it's totally normal to have a crush on her. Which teenage boy didn't. She's an amazing superhero. But what he did was overdoing it. I'm starting to think Adrien thinks he's in love with her. Nino thought to himself. No wonder he can't see the amazing girl in front of him if he's blinded by the superhero. "Hey, Adrien. I'm gonna go. See ya tomorrow." Nino said walking away.

All Adrien could do was just stand there. I shouldn't of said that, he knew. But there was nothing he could really do to undo what he said. I'm glad Marinette didn't hear that. I don't know what if I'd do if she did. I didn't mean it to come out so... harsh. Little did he know she's exactly who he told it to.

...

Back to the present, sulking in her room, Marinette's heart broke into pieces. 'She's my friend, and just my friend, nothing more', those words with his tone swirling in her mind, over and over. Playing like a broken record. At least I can finally get over him now, she thought.

Worried about her holder, Tikki tried her best to cheer her up. "Marinette, you don't need Adrien, if he can't see how amazing you are, then he's not worth it.".

"I know Tikki, it's just hard to imagine liking anyone else other than him. I guess it's just time to move on" Marinette replied.

Wiping the tears from her face, she began to take down the posters of Adrien hanging on her wall. Then there went the schedule, and last to go was the wallpaper on her Computer screen. It wasn't a whole lot, but it was a start. She was going to take this one step at a time.

...

Back in his room, Plagg flew out of Adrien's jacket. Kid really messed up this time. Doofus doesn't know that's Marinette under there. This is really going to come back to get 'em. Wanting to know how Adrien was feeling about the situation, he asked Adrien, "don't you think you were a bit harsh talking about pigtails like that?"

Crashing down on his bed, grabbing his head with his hands, Adrien told his kwami, "I know, I really feel bad about it, but it just came out. I guess I didn't want Ladybug thinking I was interested in someone else".

If Plagg had slapped himself any harder in the face after Adriens statement, he would've given himself a concussion. He couldn't believe how dense his holder was. How had he not figured out Ladybug's identity, especially after her reaction when Adrien was being a bit harsh about Marinette.

"This is why I love my cheese, my gooey cheese. I know they love me back" he said, hugging the piece of Camembert Adrien just gave him.

"You and your cheese, you know it can't love you back, right?" Adrien said.

"Oh but they do... a love to be eaten" Plagg told him, ignoring his holders now attitude.