Chapter 1- Moving to OP

1985

* Natalie *

I was with my sisters, Brianna and Mariah at our apartment back in NY.
Since I'm the oldest I had to watch them while our mother is out doing whatever. She's been doing drugs, we act like we don't know, cause she's been getting very angry easily. I was making pasta, since that's all we had.

I made our plates as we sat at the table to eat. "Hope ma is alright" Mariah says. "Same, she's been out for a while" Brianna says. "I'm sure she's alright" I said. Once we was done, Mariah went to go take a shower, Brianna started washing dishes as I started taking out the trash. I saw cops in the hallway knocking on everyone doors. I ignored and went back in to wash my hands.

"Ok ready for bed" I asked Brianna. She grabbed a rag drying her hands and nodded. Mariah came out with a towel wrapped around her heading for her room into we heard a knock on the door. "I got it" I said. "Ugh don't tell me mom lost her keys again" Mariah says. Probably the cops that I saw.

I open the door seeing 2 cops. "Yes" I asked. "Hi, did you know Kira Willis" He says showing a picture. I crossed my arms hoping she didn't get in any trouble. "Yes, she's our mother" I said as my sisters came behind me. "What happen now" Brianna says.
"She got in a car accident, she's was in this car with a guy name Steve D. Morgan, he's known for being a drug dealer around here. They got in a very bad accident on Lenox ave" a cop says. I covered my mouth. "Oh my gosh, is she okay" Mariah asked. The cops gave each other looks and shook their heads no.

"Sorry to say...she didn't make it"The other officer says. Brianna fell to the floor and started crying. "What caused the accident" I asked holding my tears in. "We found this bag open on the floor with some blunts and bottles" The first officer says holding up a bag with what looks like cocaine in it. I shook my head. Damn it Mom!
"I can't with this" Mariah says running to her room crying.

We knew mom was doing bad stuff, to get money for us to live and be happy ever since dad left, but this is just crazy. Once the cops left that's when I rushed to my room crying my heart out.

-

-4 months later-

We was in the car with our uncle and aunt. It's been a quiet ride.
We was in the car. "So you girls excited to be back in Boston" Aunt Maddie asked. We didn't say anything, we just looked out the window as Brianna was writing in a book. Uncle Jones just looked at us through the mirror as he continued driving. "Give them time hun" He says to Aunt Maddie.

We was moving in with my aunt Maddie and uncle Jones to the OP, since we didn't have jobs or anything.

We always came for the summers or holidays to visit them, now we permanently staying here.

"How about some music" Uncle Jones says as he turned on the radio. Once Michael Jackson went off, New Edition 'Mr Telephone man' came on.

We looked at each other and smiled. Couldn't help it.

"Mr. Telephone Man
There's something wrong with my line
When I dial my baby's number
I get a click every time
Mr. Telephone Man
There's something wrong with my line
When I dial my baby's number
I get a click every time" We 3 started singing.

Aunt Maddie smiled at us as Brianna started singing Ralph part.
We use to be friends with New Edition into they left for Candy Girl, haven't seen them since. Every summer we use to play with them and just chill. I miss those days to be honest.

We pulled up at the OP. We saw so many kids playing outside, playing basketball and just chatting. "Memories huh" Uncle Jones said smiling at us. We nodded. We grabbed our bags and made our way to their building.

Once Aunt Maddie open the door we hear screams from our 2 cousins, Nicki and Stacy. They ran and hugged us. "Hi cousins" Nicki yells. I hugged back. "Hey" Mariah says. We smiled at them. They been growing so fast, they're only like 12 and 11. "You guys grew so fast" I said. They smiled proudly at us. "Yea this one here be acting like she's already 18" Uncle Jones says talking about Nicki. Nicki rolled her eyes at him. "Dad stop! He's just a friend that I chill with" Nicki says annoyed.

"Anyway girls, We giving you three Stacy room, Stacy and Nicki don't mind sharing plus it was their idea" Aunt Maddie says to us. "Aw thank you" I said to them, they smiled and nodded.

We put our bags in our new room and picked our beds. We still upset with what happened to our mother, but we tryna fight through it and live our life cause that's what she would want. Just our happiness.

I looked down. "It's alright Natalie,we all still feel that way" Brianna says hugging me, knowing what I was thinking about. Mariah joined the hug. Someone knocked on our door. "Come in" I said. Nicki and Stacy came in. "Did we interrupt something" Stacy asked. "No no" Mariah says.
"Ok....can you come with us to the Rec Center!" Nicki yells asking us all excited.
We looked at each other.

"Why what's happening at the Rec center" Mariah asked. "Um hello, your besties are gonna be performing today!" Nicki says. Dang she's a bit sassy now.

"Yea don't you want to see your besties, New Edition" Stacy says, when she says new edition she started getting hype. "I guess" Brianna says tryna smile.
"Yay" They both yelled and ran out the room.

We changed, wearing matching shorts and tank tops but different colors. We went to the livingroom where Uncle Jones was watching tv and aunt Maddie was cooking.

"You girls look nice" Aunt Maddie says. "Thanks Aunt Maddie" Brianna says. "You girls should go outside, go play, get some air" She says then went back to cooking. We nodded and took her advice. We went outside still so many kids out here. A lot looked at us. "Why is everyone staring at us" Brianna says a bit scared. "Ignore them"I said. We walked around.
"I really don't remember it here like that" Mariah says. "Me either" Brianna says. We didn't come here for 2 summers, some stuff have changed but not that much.

"Yo! Natalie is that you" I hear a voice yell my name. I turn and see Bobby Brown. I smiled at him. The boys was walking behind him heading our way. "It's the Willis sisters, wow" Ronnie says. Bobby hugged me. "I missed you bestie" He says as he didn't wanna let me go. "Hi bob, missed you too" I said pulling away but still smiling. "It's been a while" Ralph says. We nodded.

"3 years without seeing you girls" Mike says hugging Mariah. "You girls coming to our show at the rec center" Ricky asked. "Yea, our cousins are hype to see you" I said. "And your not" Bobby smirks at me wrapping a arm around me. "For you? Nah"I said. The guys laughed. "Let's go play some Ball Riah" Mike says pulling Mariah away. They always called her Riah or RiRi.

"Bri, let's go see Shelly, I know she'll be hype to see you again" Ralph says taking Brianna hand and walking away with her. Ronnie and Ricky went with Mike.

"First let's go catch up Natalie, then we can go see your sister beat Mike at basketball, after that you can get your cousins and come enjoy our show at the rec center" Bobby says. "Alright" I said. We started walking and talking catching up.