Chapter 4- MCA

1985
* Natalie *

So Aunty Maddie and uncle Jones thought it was a good idea for us to go try out for MCA. Stacy and Nicki really wanted to come, but couldn't. They have school to do. But if we get accepted of course we gonna fly them out here on breaks and stuff.

I felt someone waking me up. "Nat, hey. We here, wakey wakey " I hear Ronnie voice. I forgot I was on a plane. I open my eyes seeing him smiling in my face. I chuckled and got up. We got our bags and waited for the van to park for us. We put our bags in and got in the van.

Brianna pulled out her book that she always been writing in. She writes her feelings and turn them into songs. "So you girl's gonna perform the song for Jheryl at the office" Mike asked. "I think it's more professional if we make a recording for him to listen to. We don't wanna just March in the office singing" I said. They gave each other looks. "Why yall look like that, you had to that" Brianna asked. They looked away whistling. We laughed at them.

"Well we gonna take you girls to the apartment we have here first, then we have practice" Ronnie says. "You girls can tag along" Bobby says. "Yea, then you girls can also make your recording for Jheryl" Ralph adds on. We smiled and nodded. We got to the apartment. Once we walked in it was long, very huge. We saw condoms, clothes and plates on the floor. "Do you boys ever clean up" I asked disgusted. "Oh gosh" Brianna says very disgusted seeing a used condom on the floor. "We're boys, we have our needs" Ricky says. "To be messing with girls like this, that's just disgusting!" I Said. "Anyway here's your room" Ronnie says opening a door for us. We walked in, it was nice. Looked like it was never used. "We had our guys move 2 beds in here so it'll be 3" Ricky says. "Thank you" Brianna says. We unpacked our stuff, shower then changed into basic clothes.

I came out the room. This is just nasty. "Where's the broom, I can't be living here with this filth" I said. Ricky pointed at it. I grabbed it and started sweeping up the mess they left. "Do you guys ever wash your dishes" Brianna says. She went to the dishes and cleaned the full sink. Mariah helped me with all the stuff on the floor and mopped.
"Thanks for cleaning ladies but we Have to be in the studio in 20 minutes" Mike says. We washed our hands then rushed to the van.

"Do you think MCA will like us" Mariah asked me and Brianna. "I hope they do" I said. "I'm sure they will, just know none of yall can be better than me" Ralph says to us smiling. "You mean me" Bobby says. Once the van stopped, we rushed inside this dance studio type of place.
"You're late" This white dude says. Must be Gary. "Yea yea whatever Gary, this is Natalie, Mariah and Brianna Willis" Bobby says pointing at us. "Ah the group that Mike told me about. He named you girls 'NYC Starlight' or just 'starlight' for short" Gary says. We gave Mike a look. What?

"Um when did he come up with this name" I asked. "You girls are beautiful like the star in the sky. When yall come together it's like a starlight across the sky" Mike says. "That's beautiful Mikey" Mariah says. "Huh lame" I said. "Whatever let's just get this over with"

The boys walked into a room. "Damn yall always late" A man says. It was Brooke Payne. He was Ronnie uncle and their choreographer also ex manager.
"Sorry uncle Brooke-" Mike was saying but Brooke cut him off. "Just practice 'Cool it Now', 'Mr Telephone man' and 'My secret'" Brooke says. They ran to get in position.

"The Willis sisters, damn you girls grew, Come give Uncle Brooke a hug" Brooke says. We ran to him and hugged him. "Hey Brooke" I said smiling. "Glad to see you girls again! But...why" He asked not to be rude. "They're gonna try out for MCA" Ricky says. "Yea so can we get 3 microphones for them, so they can practice" Ralph says. "You girls should practice our sounds" Mike says.

"Easy" I said. We took the microphones. "We watched you guys live and performing all the time. We know every move" Brianna says flipping her hair back. The boys sat down. "Ok show me what you girls got" Brooke says. We took the boys spot. We started singing and dancing to 'cool it now' and 'Mr Telephone man'. When we finished everyone looked shocked. "How was that" Mariah asked as we was catching our breath. Everyone clapped for us. We smiled at each other.

"Now can we sing an original song" Brianna asked. "Of course show us what you got" Brooke says. We started singing this song that Brianna wrote called 'Living it up' it was very catchy and fun to dancing to. The boys cheered and started standing. Brooke smiled at us. "We do have some music writers you know" Gary says as if he didn't like what he heard. "Shut up Gary" I said right away. He backed away from us. "Yea stay back there"
The boys laughed at how I was treating him.

"Damn bestie you was fine as fuck" Bobby says hugging me. "They all did great Bob" Ralph says. "But do you guys think Jheryl would like it and sign us up for MCA" Mariah asked. "I think he will" we heard some dude voice say.

It was Jheryl Busby. "Jheryl you like that song" Gary asked. "Liked it? I love it. Did you not see the moves they came up with it. It was great" Jheryl says. "Especially Brianna high notes and beatbox" Ralph says smiling at her. "Dont forget the two singers and rappers, Natalie and Mariah" Ronnie says. "Yes you girls are amazing, just gonna need a manager" Jheryl says. "How about me" Gary says coming up to us. "Didn't I tell you to stay your ass back there" I said strictly to Gary. He put his hands up and backed up again. "We don't want Gary" Mariah says. "Then who's your manager" Jheryl asked. "How about Brooke" Brianna says. "Great, Brooke you're the choreographer for both groups and the manager for the girls. They need to be in the studio soon, their album should be coming out same time as the boys" Jheryl says. "I'm fine with that" Brooke says.

"What's your group name again" Jheryl. "Starlight" Mike says for us. Still feel strange about the name.
Jheryl laughed. "Well welcome to MCA" Jheryl says. "We gonna need to read that contract first" I said. He smiled and nodded before leaving.

"I can't believe this is happening" Brianna says hype as her and Mariah hugged the guys. "I knew you girls can do it" Ralph says. I hope this is the right choice.