5: Sometimes Family Is Best Forgotten

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and nothing heated happens.❗TW❗Family trauma from shouting and mentions of pot and "sleazy" behaviours. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“The candle!” Mirabel finally screams in terror. I’ve always known her to have a bit of a hard time processing things, leading to delayed reactions, but this is a little late. 

“You’re gonna wake everyone up, hush.” Camilo shushes. 

Mamá! ! Abuela!” Mirabel starts running through the house, knocking on everyone’s doors. “Help!” Soon, our entire sleepy family is stumbling out of their rooms like zombies. 

“What, Mirabel?” Isabela asks, the circles under her eyes very prominent as she gives Mirabel a death glare. 

“The… the cracks… the candle…” Camilo tries to explain, still in shock. 

“There were these insane cracks in the house and they went all over and… and they got to the candle and it was knocked over, look!” I point up, rushing to Mirabel’s side to prove we’re not crazy. We all look up at Abuela’s windowsill and it’s fixed, the candle upright and burning brightly. I take another look around and all the cracks are gone. “But… they were there, I--” 

“Go back to sleep.” Abuela interrupts me loudly. 

“We all saw them, Camilo, (Y/N), and I. They were all over, Abuela, please--” 

“I said go back to sleep!” Abuela snaps and both Dolores and I cover our ears. I’m not the one with super hearing but loud noises, especially yelling, upset me to the point of crying. Sometimes I have nightmares where I’m back in my room at home listening to mi mami and mi tio arguing loudly while I try to sleep. Tears come to my eyes as I think about it and I’m glad everyone has gone back to their rooms. A few people slam their doors and I jump with a small squeak, tears springing to my eyes. Soon, Mirabel and Camilo are at each of my sides, slowly taking me back to my room. 

“Are you alright?” Camilo asks softly, sitting all of us down on my bed. “I know she was a bit harsh. You’re as scared for the magic as I am and no one believes us.” They still don’t know about my home situation. I’d be surprised if she still remembered but Dolores would be the only person who actually knew what my old home life was like. 

“It’s not that.” I sniffle, wiping the beginning of a tear from my eye. “Well, I am scared but that’s not why I reacted like that.” 

“What is it, then?” Mirabel asks softly, putting an arm around me, rubbing my shoulder softly. I pause, trying to build enough courage to tell them. 

“My… my tío was a drunk. Almost every night while I was trying to sleep, he’d come home late and get in huge screaming fights with my mom. I always hated them and now I hate yelling and loud noises even more. I have terrible dreams where I’m back there sometimes but I can’t move. I can’t try to go back to sleep or get up or anything. I just have to sit and listen through it.” I start to cry halfway through it, remembering the awful things he would do and say. 

“Oh, honey…” Mirabel coos in a motherly tone. “It sounds like you have a bit of P-T-S-D.” 

“Big time.” I can tell Camilo is trying to console me. Just terribly. He’s trying. 

“I guess but… you’re not a therapist.” I look over at Mirabel.

“Honey, Abuela is our Abuela. Anyone in this family would know what trauma is.” She sighs. We all sit in silence for a while with the only sounds in the room being my sniffles as I try to stop crying.

“You know you can come to me if you ever have one of those dreams, right?” They both ask and glare at each other.

“Just like twins.” I laugh to myself softly. 

“I’m only being nice because you’re crying.” Camilo says with restraint in his voice. 

“You’re only being nice ‘cause you have a crush on them.” Mirabel rolls her eyes. My tears disappear on their own but leave that same feeling I had in my stomach earlier. Like, anticipation right before something big is about to happen to you.

“Says you!” He scoffs and I feel him give her a shove behind me. 

“As birthday royalty, I command you to stop.” I giggle. 

“Oh, I’m so sorry, your highness.” Camilo rolls his eyes but breaks, chuckling. 

“Apologies, my liege.” Mirabel mimes a bow. Casita rolls a clock over to us and we all look down at it. “Guess we should go back to bed.” They begin to stand but I tackle them in a hug and we all end up laying back on my bed. 

“Thank you guys for such a great birthday.” I sigh. 

“Were our presents early or was our cake late?” Camilo asks. 

“Your cake was late. But it’s okay--” 

“You absolute dumbass, I told you it was yesterday.” Mirabel slaps Camilo’s arm. 

“It’s okay!” I giggle. “I’m just glad you guys remembered.” I sigh. “I love you guys so much. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” I take a pause. “I do know, actually. I’d still be at home with my family…” I trail off. 

“Can I ask you something?” Camilo questions, sitting us all up and taking one of my hands in his. “Was it just your tío? Who did bad things, I mean.” 

“No.” I shake my head, looking down and away from them. “It was almost everyone who was older. Julia and Luz were nice but every time my family fought, they’d sneak around the side of the house to smoke pot. They’d come back in and do these crazy things, only making the fights worse. My older brothers were… sleazy.. to say the least. My brightest memory was the night of your ceremony, Mirabel. They were selling something to this girl who didn’t even look like she wanted it and when she told them she didn’t have money, they told her she’d have to pay with her body.” My eyes start to well up again. “But y’know. It’s better here. It’s all in the past.” I shrug, wiping my eyes. They both go in for a huge hug and I let it happen. 

“No one here does that. It’s okay.” Mirabel sighs to me, holding the side of my head lightly. The clock rolls back over to us and she giggles at it softly. “Guess we gotta go.” They both stand and Mirabel takes my hand in hers. “I’m here for you if you have one of those nightmares. I know how I am when people wake me up but if you explain, I’ll help.” She gives my hand a quick squeeze, making those butterflies appear in my stomach again and leaves. Camilo stays in his spot and I can see the gears in his head turning, trying to figure out what to say.

“I know I’m mean sometimes but I wouldn’t be if you came to me. That’s serious shit, I wanna help if it does happen.” He gives me a look asking if I understand and I nod. He smiles softly and leans over, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. I sit in silence and he takes that time to quickly exit, closing the door and leaving me with what he just did. Those butterflies are tornadoes now. I think I have a crush on them. But which one?

------------------------------------
Word Count: 1,262

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed! Stay safe, my dudes <3

Published: (1/30/22) (Month/Day/Year)

Final Word Count: 1,291