24: Ends Bring Beginnings

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and nothing heated happens. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

I wake up to blinding afternoon sun. A shadow blocks the light and I look up at them with a faint smile. Dolores is hovering over me, relief washing over her face when she sees my eyes open. “Tía! (Y/N)’s awake!” She shouts and I’m immediately baffled. Why is she being so loud?

“What about your ears?” I ask, pushing myself up and wincing at the pain in my left forearm. Mami pushes me back down, laying my head back in Dolores’ lap and setting a first aid kit down next to us. 

“Oh, you poor thing.” She tuts, examining not just my arm, but my entire body. “How much do you remember? Smoke inhalation is nothing to sneeze at.” 

“I remember… the fire. Cami was trying to get us all out. He dropped our bracelets and I tried to get them. That’s when I passed out.” I remember it clear as day now that I’m thinking about it. My arm feels like it’s on fire but I don’t dare to look down at it. As curious as I am, I hate looking at awful burns. I can’t stand seeing someone so hurt, it makes me squeamish. “Oh God, the bracelets! What happened to them?” I sit back up and mami lays me back down, having Dolores hold me down gently so she can work on me. 

“We have them.” Cami says from behind me and tears spring to my eyes as I look back at both him and Mira. They’re both covered in soot, bandages covering what I assume are their own burn marks. “We had to go back in and save you. I couldn’t let mi amor die like that.” He bends down and gives my forehead a soft, loving kiss. 

“I would get up and kick both of your asses for putting ourselves in danger like that if my head wasn’t pounding.” I lecture him. “Mami, do you have any food?” They all go silent, looking between each other. “What?” 

“The candle went out.” Mami tells me quietly and tears start rolling down her face. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone in this family so vulnerable and I respect that. “We all lost our gifts in the process. Our Encanto still stands but our house…” She trails off softly and I look past Dolores to see the burnt rubble of our house. God, this is all my fault. I feel terrible. I’m only pulled back to the conversation when Mira slides my bracelets on my wrist in the order I like them. 

“No one else is hurt, don’t worry.” She assures me, kissing my knuckles gently. 

“But I can see how hurt you are.” I gaze into her eyes as Cami joins her side, crouching in front of me. “Don’t lie to me. How many people actually got hurt?” 

Lo siento.” She seems genuinely sorry, her features dropping. “It was just us, I promise. Everyone else got out safely.” I look to Cami for confirmation and he nods.

“Only small burns, princesa. We jumped the fire trying to save you.” He grabs my other hand, holding it gently in both of his. 

“Are you guys alright?” I ask weakly. 

“Yes. It was all worth it to save you.” Mira smiles softly at me. “Mami put some aloe and bandaids on them so we’re good.” 

“You’re done. Please be careful, it’s pretty dangerous.” Mami tells me and Cami helps me stand carefully. My head only spins for a moment before I take in my surroundings. We’re on the hill next to what used to be our house and inside the rubble, half of the town is picking through to find anything salvageable while the other half is generously trying to rebuild it.

“Dolores, can I talk to you for a sec?” I ask and she stands quickly, nodding. I turn to Mira and Cami, who look a bit concerned. “I’ll be fine, it’s only for a moment.” Silence. “Don’t worry, I’m just her P-I and I have top secret information on the guy she’s stalking.” This makes them laugh and I smile, walking off with Dolores. Humor always works.