18: Sledding

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and a bit of spiciness is included. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“Have you ever actually tried to make snow, Tía Pepa?” I eye her carefully. We’re all standing in the backyard, hotter than hell in our warm clothes. 

“Well… not exactly.” She chuckles shyly. “Julieta, when was the last time I snowed?” 

“I can’t remember… maybe… when Camilo asked ten years ago?” Mami shrugs. 

“But do you remember how I made it snow?” Tía crosses her arms. 

“Uhm… no.” Mami hesitates and Tía sighs exasperatedly. 

“Well, he asked for snow because of Tío Bru…” Mirabel trails off as a dark cloud forms over her head. 

“As much as I hate the thought, I think you need to keep talking about him.” Tía says after a deep breath, sounding pained. 

“You know, I looked like Tío Bruno when I was younger.” Camilo smiles. “I mean, I’m not a cryptid rat man who’s, like, seven feet tall now. So that’s a plus.” 

“What’s wrong with rats?” Antonio asks sadly as a rat scampers up to him. 

“What’s wrong with being seven feet tall?” Luisa asks, her brows knitted together in upset confusion.

Tío’s a nice guy!” Dolores smacks Camilo upside the head. “It’s people like you who drove him away.” 

“He literally told you you’d never marry the guy of your dreams.” Isabela crosses her arms. “I mean, he only gave me good visions. I have a reason to like him.” She brags, tossing her hair. Mirabel turns to me, signing a gagging motion. 

“But he doesn’t choose what he sees!” Dolores raises her voice and flinches, immediately covering her ears. There’s silence and suddenly, heavy snow starts falling around us. It’s hard to see much of anything through the flakes and I see Mirabel trying to wipe her glasses off with her gloves. Everyone begins to move on from what happened but I approach Dolores. 

“Are you alright? I’ve never seen you raise your voice like that.” I ask quietly and she waves me off. 

“I’m fine. Just… you’d think that with how much we struggle with our gifts, they’d be able to accept someone who struggles so much like Tío, y’know?” 

“Yeah. I feel bad. He’s so nice, yet Camilo just described him as an eldritch horror.” 

“Oh, yeah.” She giggles. “He does that with kids who haven’t met Tío and I keep telling him to stop but he’s really adamant about it. It’s all because Tío accidentally snuck up on him in the kitchen a few days before he left. He’s terrified of Tío and rats now.” We both laugh and an idea comes to me. 

“Antonio!” I call and he scrambles through the snow to get to me. When he approaches with the biggest smile on his face, it brings a smile to mine. I’d have kids just to have one as adorable and perfect as him. “Do you think I could borrow a few rats?”

“Uh-huh!” He nods eagerly, his hair bobbing. A few rats come scampering up to him and he picks them up, handing them to me carefully.