9: Love's In The Air

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and nothing heated happens. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“Why are we in your vision, Tío Bruno?” I ask myself softly. 

“Bro!” Luisa bursts into my room and I yelp in surprise, covering the vision from her view. “My gift!”

“What about it?” I ask her nervously and she approaches me, Casita closing the door after her. 

“It’s fading!” She cries frantically, holding my shoulders. It doesn’t hurt as much as usual, so I can see what she means. “Help!” 

“Slow down, chica.” I chuckle, trying to keep her line of sight away from the glowing image on my vanity. “How do I help?” 

“I dunno!” She begins to cry, picking me up in a tight grip. “I’m just scared.” She sobs into me. 

“It’s gonna be okay, sis. I know it will.” I lie and hug her back. After seeing that vision, I don’t know what’s going to happen but I don’t need an incident to go down right now. Abuela already dislikes me and surely, somebody will tell her about Luisa’s gift and I’ll be blamed for it. 

“Thank you.” She whispers to me. “I… I need to get ready. Your hair looks great.” She smiles, setting me down and wiping her tears away. 

“Of course.” I put a hand on her bicep and stare up at her. “It’s gonna be okay. I promise.” We both smile and she leaves silently. I fix myself up in the mirror, trying to take my mind off of the vision. Knowing Abuela, I’m not supposed to upstage Isabela by looking better than her so I am wearing ‘unlady-like’ clothes. It’s what I wore a few days ago but I’ve traded my suspenders for a nice, powdery blue bow tie. 

“You.” Dolores opens the door and rushes in, jumping a bit as it slams behind her from her actions. 

“Good evening to you too.” I giggle, fixing my tie in the mirror. taught me how to tie both long and bow ties the moment I told him I was nonbinary and I am forever greatful. 

“What have you done?” She asks quietly, gaping at the vision on my desk. 

“Oh. Um. That. Yes.” I nod nervously, turning to her. “What if we… forgot about it? For tonight? I mean, Abuela already hates me enough as it is. We can keep it between us, right? Gal pals?” I give a fake smile and she snaps her head toward me.

“Gal pals? This could destroy the family!” She says incredulously. 

“Which is why we will keep it a secret until dinner is over.” I smile, shoving all of the shards into my pockets. 

“I dunno…” She trails off. 

“Time to eat!” Abuela shouts from downstairs. 

Mierda.” (Shit) I sigh. “Not. A. Word.” I grab her shoulders, staring into her eyes. She nods nervously and we go down for dinner. 

“The Guzmáns and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto.” Abuela tells Mariano’s mother. 

“Yes. Then, let’s hope tonight is not a horrible disaster.” She chuckles and I stare down Dolores from across the table.