8: The Vision

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and nothing heated happens. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

Suddenly, I forget what I was trying to do. His lips are sweet, like honey. When we pull away, I nervously lick my lips and the taste of cake spreads across my tastebuds. He never stops eating, and I’m not surprised that my birthday cake was one of his victims. We sit there staring at each other for another moment until he finally speaks. “I’m so sorry, I just…” I move back in and kiss him again like I did with Mirabel. My actions are almost directly mirrored from last night. We pull away again and I look into his eyes. 

“Don’t apologize.” I smile and he chuckles softly. He’s so close, I can feel his breath hitting my face and I giggle as it tickles me. I pull him back in for one more quick kiss before picking my earring up and standing, putting it back in my ear. “I have somewhere to be.” I smile at him nervously and he looks up at me with stars in his eyes. “Eat more cake. Tastes good.” I giggle and walk away from him. Just as I’m exiting earshot, I hear him sigh to himself softly. 

“Woah…” He breaths in starstruck awe and I giggle to myself, thinking about the kiss as I walk. Mirabel’s kiss comes to mind and I sigh in frustration. God, I’m crushing on both of them. I know I love them platonically but do I actually love one of them romantically? I go back to my room to hide for a bit for Camilo to leave so I can sneak into tío’s tower. After a while, I peek out of my room to see that the hallway is clear and take that time to rush over to Tío Bruno’s room. I open the door and there’s a waterfall of sand flowing down into the room. 

Casita, can you… turn off the sand?” I ask, reaching a hand out under the flow. Tiles rumble sadly behind me and I turn around in the threshold. “You… can’t help in here?” The tiles rumble faster and more panicked and I chuckle lightly. “No, no it’s alright. I have to do this. For the magic. For you, Casita. For our family.” I pause. “... maybe a little for me and my friends.” I turn back to the sand and exhale shortly, wiping my sweaty hands on the bottom of my dress. I usually hate dresses but I changed into this because Mirabel sewed pockets into it and they allow more range of mobility. 

I step under the sand and immediately get tackled by it, tumbling down a mountain of sand and landing face first at the bottom as sand continues to flow down onto me. I stand, spitting grains of sand from my mouth and brushing even more out of my hair and off of my clothes. When I finally get my bearings together, I look up to see rows and rows of ascending stairs. “You have got to be kidding me.” I groan. “For the family.” I shrug, starting to climb. 

When I finally reach the top, my calves feel ready to detach from my body. I crawl my way up the last few steps and flop down when I reach a flat ledge, staring up at the ceiling. “I’m just gonna… lay here for a minute.” I tell myself breathlessly. Eventually, the fire in my legs stops and I stand, turning around to the huge building on the other side of the gorge in front of me. Wait… gorge? I look over it again and it looks like there used to be a rope bridge connecting the two sides that has fallen now. “Oh my God, seriously?” 

Okay. What would Mirabel do? I look around and take the wooden stake from the ground with rope still attached to it. I throw it, hooking it into the top of the building and tugging on it for safety. Alright. I can do this. I grab hold of the rope tightly and move back to the edge of the platform. I take a running start and jump as I reach the very edge next to the gap. When I let go, I’m relieved to find myself on the other side unharmed but take a few steps away from the ledge that already looks very close to breaking off. 

Now I’m face-to-face with this creepy-ass building. I can’t imagine it was too friendly-looking before it was abandoned for ten years but the sunken-ness and cobwebs definitely don’t make it a fun house. I blow out a breath for courage. “For the family.” I press my lips into a tight line and exhale quickly before entering. There’s a long hall with big stone carvings of Bruno’s face along each wall, rats crawling across them as the green bits in the faces glint off of the light from the doorway occasionally. 

At the end of the hall, there’s a big, round door that opens a little more when I look at it, as if beckoning me over. This is it. This is how I die. There’s gonna be like, a mega rat or something behind that door that’ll shoot me for being too curious. I take a deep breath, fiddling with both my ring and my earrings to calm myself down. “For the family.” I tell myself and hold my hand out, having the door open fully. 

I keep my hand out, trying to force any light in the room to turn on for a better look. Nothing. The only lights are glowing… things.. buried in sand all over the room. I take a deep breath and step into the room fully and am relieved when no mega rat comes to end my life. Warily, I float one glowing piece into my hand and inspect it carefully. It’s green and glows brighter as soon as it lands in my hand, nearly cutting me with its sharp, broken glass-like edges. I float two more over two me and eventually figure out that they fit together like puzzle pieces. When I connect them, it’s a picture of me, Mirabel, and Camilo.

Suddenly, parts of the ceiling collapse and sand starts flowing into the room quickly. The thing with telekinesis is, you have to be close to an object to control it. I can’t just levitate myself Canada’s finest maple syrup from the factory. To reach the pieces in the far back quickly, I step into the room more. They all shove themselves into my pockets and I’m about to head out when I spot one across the room. “Dammit!” I shout, crawling my way through the growing piles of sand, trying to reach the piece as it’s lost in the sea of small grains. I’m pushed out the door by the sand and grab the top of the frame, focusing all of my energy on getting that last piece. Soon, it rushes into my pocket and I let myself go with a sigh, all of my energy gone from that mega action. 

When I make it out, I’m still rushed with adrenaline and covered in sand. “Hey, (Y/N)! Whatcha up to?” Mirabel asks in an overly chipper tone. 

“Oh! Uh.. hi, Mira. Just… going to my room.” I smile nervously at her and her smile disappears as she reaches out for the sand in my hair. 

“Why are you sand-y?”  She asks, brushing near handfuls out of my hair. 

“Uhh…” I try to come up with something. 

“Everybody!” Abuela shouts through the house. “Let’s get ready for the Guzmáns!” 

¡Si!” We all respond and I am relieved, for once, for an excuse to not see Mirabel. I move to my room and dump all of the pieces onto my vanity. Okay. If this is like a puzzle, I should be able to fit them all together. I spend what feels like hours frantically trying to put it together, brushing my hair out and putting different clothes on with my gift. Thank God some of my energy is back because I’ve spent too long trying to put this stupid vision together, I wouldn’t have time to get ready after if I finished it anytime soon.

Finally, I fit it all together and stand back. I’m so in shock that everything my gift is holding up clatters to the floor. It’s a picture of me, Mirabel, and Camilo standing in front of a cracked and breaking Casita.

------------------------------------
Word Count: 1,428

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed! Stay safe, my dudes <3

Published: (2/2/22) (Month/Day/Year)

Final Word Count: 1,457