7: What Vision?

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and nothing heated happens. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

The next morning is… tense, to say the least. I enjoyed both kisses, but one was way farther than the other. If Camilo giving me a kiss on the cheek replaced stomach butterflies with tornadoes, Mirabel full-on kissing me sent earthquakes and forest fires through me. When we gather at the table for breakfast, I don’t say anything to either of them. They’re my best friends but I’m still pondering who I want to be more, if I do at all. I shake my head, trying to clear it. I have a plan for today.

“Dolores, can I talk to you?” I pull her aside before she can answer. “So, you know how I’m, like, your favorite almost cousin ‘cause I’m your only one? Well, you’re my favorite almost-cousin so I feel like I could tell you anything, so logically, you can tell me anything like what happened with the magic the other night. Do you know anything about it?” She doesn’t speak for a few long moments and she looks so very shocked. 

“Camilo!” Dolores rounds the corner, smacking him. “I only want you to pretend to be me when I go out. My least favorite little brother…” She mumbles and Camilo shifts back into himself. 

“Hey, man, I’m hungry.” He groans. Before he leaves, he smiles at me sweetly. God, I’m down bad for this boy. 

“Look, you three are the only people worried about it. From what I’ve heard, you’re more concerned than the other two. No one else is fretting, except for the rats in the walls.” She begins to walk away but peeks her head back around the corner. “Oh, and Luisa. Her eye has been twitching. Every day.” She shrugs and squeaks, leaving me. I stand for a moment, processing her words. When they finally settle, I go to try and find Luisa. Instead of taking my usual spot in between Mirabel and Camilo, I sit next to Luisa. 

“Luisa, Dolores told me about your eye twitching after the cracks. Do you know anything about the magic?” She looks down at me, slowly chewing a bite of food. Her eye twitches and I gasp. 

“(Y/N). I am talking.” Abuela says firmly from the head of the table. 

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Abuela.” I smile at her and she glares at me before continuing. “I’ll talk to you after breakfast.” I mutter to Luisa. Breakfast finishes and I leave my plate with Camilo quickly before searching for Luisa. She’s walking through town rounding up donkeys for one of the townspeople. I finally catch up to her when she has donkeys atop both of her shoulders and stop her. “Luisa, please, just tell me what you know.” 

“(Y/N), please, you’re gonna make me drop a donkey.” She tries to move past me and I step in front of her. 

“Luisa, I just wanna help the family. Please just tell me what’s wrong with the magic--” She sets the donkeys down.

“NOTHING’S WRONG.” She snaps in my face. “Woah. Sorry, that came from nowhere. What I meant was everything’s fine. Magic’s fine, Luisa’s fine, and I’m totally not nervous.” Her eye twitches again.

“Luisa, I don’t think you’re fine. What’s wrong?” I ask and she sighs. 

“There’s just so much pressure, y’know? I have to carry the family and the town because I’m the strong one or else I feel weak.” She starts crying and I hug her. 

“I think you’re carrying way too mu--” She picks me up and squeezes me, cutting me off and knocking the air out of me. 

“Maybe I overdo it.” She whispers. “Speaking of weakness… the other night, when you guys saw the cracks, I felt… weak!” She holds me tighter.

“Wait, wait what?” I ask.

“Luisa, the donkeys!” The farmer beckons her and she sets me down gently. 

“On it!” I fix myself up and continue to follow her as she rounds up the donkeys again. 

“What do you mean? What do you think might be hurting the magic?”

“Dunno, but I heard the grown-ups once. Before Tío Bruno left, he had, like, some terrible vision about it.” 

Tío Bruno? What was in his vision?”

“No one knows. They never found it.” She begins to walk away from me. “But if something’s wrong with the magic, start with Bruno’s tower. Find that vision.” 

“How do I find a vision? What am I looking for?” I call after her. 

“If you see it, you’ll know. But be careful. That place is off-limits for a reason.” 

“What vision?” I ask myself softly. Soon, I’m sneaking through Casita, trying to be as unseen as possible toward Tío Bruno’s tower. However, it doesn’t work as I planned and Camilo kneels down next to me behind a potted plant. 

“Who are we spying on? Ooh, are we avoiding Dolores? What did you do to her? Put gum in her hair?” He smiles mischievously. 

“I am not hiding from or spying on anyone.” I chuckle, pushing him by his lead lightly. “I’m just…” Quick, think of something. I take the earring that I’ve been fiddling with very discreetly. “Looking for my missing earring. It fell out.” I quickly slide it behind the potted plant and smile at him. 

“Let me help you. God knows you can’t see shit.” He starts searching the ground with a shit-eating grin

“It’s ‘cause I only have eyes for one person.” He looks over at me like his heart just stopped and I can see he stopped breathing. “Your mom.” I laugh widely and he shoves my shoulder. 

“Your mom jokes get old when your best friend has been saying them for almost five years.” He rolls his eyes, continuing looking the ground over for the earring he got me. Eventually, he must spot it and I pretend to find it too. We both reach out for it and his hand ends up on top of mine. How are we such a cliché? I look over at him and he smiles softly at me. His hand moves from my hand to between my jaw and my neck and he leans over to me, kissing me softly.

------------------------------------
Word Count: 1,044

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed! I do realize that these scenes are not word for word what happened in the movie but Mirabel and (Y/N) are not the same person, though they act similarly, so they will have different reactions to things. Stay safe, my dudes <3

Published: (2/1/22) (Month/Day/Year)

Final Word Count: 1,111