22: Trouble

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and deals with minor transphobia [(D/N) stands for deadname]. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“How do we explain this?” I stare at myself in complete shock and horror. Mira slowly joins us at the mirror, wincing with a gentle hand over her crotch. I think I know where her mysterious piercing is…

“Let’s just take the piercings out.” Cami reaches for his navel ring but Mira swats his hands away. 

“That’s dangerous! Aside from the holes closing up, the site could get infected if we take it out too early. Besides, that wouldn’t fix our hair.” Mira reprimands but it’s almost ineffective because of how slow and quiet she has to speak on account of everyone’s hangovers. Thank God Tía Pepa has a hangover as well to make it cloudy, I don’t think we’d live if it were sunny out. Cami isn’t paying attention, he’s just staring at the mirror in confusion. 

“Do you think we’re the Heathers of the Power Puff Girls?” He asks slowly. 

“Bubbles is blue, not yellow.” I turn my head carefully toward him, trying to keep the room from spinning. 

“But her hair is yellow.” He points at me. 

“Even if we were characters, you would not be Bubbles or McNamara. If anything, you’d be Duke or Buttercup. Not Mira.” 

“We have bigger things to worry about than who we decided to cosplay as when we were drunk.” Mira pipes up. “We punctured our bodies. We look like Sour Patch Kids bled to death on our hair. We got drunk. We have massive hangovers.” She tries hammering it into our heads. 

“I mean, what do we say?” I start to realize her point. “‘Hola, Abuela, we got drunk because you don’t care about us and did stupid shit.’” I rub my temples. 

“The best we can do is change and hope no one notices.” Cami shrugs. “I just won’t open my mouth.” 

“I can’t do anything about my face!” Mira and I both snap at him and he rolls his eyes.

“I think you’ve got the most hideable problems of all of us.” I eye him carefully. 

“You know… they make vibrating tongue piercings, doll.” He wiggles his eyebrows at me and now it’s my turn to roll my eyes at him, shoving his shoulder lightly. 

“C’mon, be serious. We have to deal with this.” 

“I’m gonna shift and go to my room to change.” He starts to leave but I grab his bicep. He looks at me questioningly before I pick his blazer up from my floor and place it around his shoulders. It’s enough that we got drunk but if our parents think we hooked up, we’re donzo. 

“Be careful. I can’t take the fall for you if I’m not there.” I tell him softly, looking into his eyes. 

“I won’t let them blame you.” He shakes his head. “I was the one who suggested we get drunk.” 

“I was the one who actually got the beer, though.” 

“I’ll let them know it’s my fault.” Mira takes a seat on my bed. “We wouldn’t have done anything if I hadn’t made us leave.” 

“We’re all equally to blame.” I sigh. “But Abuela is going to be the maddest at me. She still thinks I tried to steal Mira’s gift, so this is my fault because I’m a troublemaker in her eyes.” I sit down next to Mira, rubbing a hand over my face. She puts a loving hand on my shoulder, leaning over to kiss my cheek when I turn my head to her.