19: Getting Ready

Heyo! This chapter is in your P.O.V. and nothing heated happens. Enjoy!
------------------------------------

“Thank god this isn’t a town-wide party.” Mirabel sighs as we make our way out of her room. 

“I don’t think I’m ready for one of those any time soon.” I shake my head, my voice a quiet tremble. As soon as Cami and Mira register my voice, both of my hands are intertwined lovingly in theirs. 

“I know, mi príncipe.” Cami kisses my hand. 

“That’s why our family agreed to have a family only party this year.” Mirabel rubs her thumb over the back of my hand soothingly. 

“Thank you, mi querida,” I look to Cami, “mi dulce.” I smile at Mirabel. 

“I like that.” They both smile sweetly and I let out a singular loud cackle. 

“I’m dating twins!” They both roll their eyes and pull their hands away from mine. “If Mira took her glasses off, I wouldn’t be able to tell who’s who.” 

“Hold your horses.” Cami holds a hand up at me. 

“I’m too fabulous to look like that rat.” Mirabel flips her hair over her shoulder absentmindedly. “Oh my God, I’m becoming Isa.” She gasps in horrified self realization. 

“You are not already popping champagne.” Mami’s voice comes into earshot as we head down the stairs. 

“It’s New Year’s Eve, I could have popped champagne at ten this morning but I held off until now.” Tía Pepa complains, followed by the sound of someone uncorking a bottle of champagne. 

“Pepa, it’s seven p-m. At least wait until ten.” Papi tells her. That’s what I’ve learned about papi while living here. He agrees with mami on everything and tries his best to match her energy. When she’s not around, he’s pretty chill. Mirabel and I could tell him we killed a man and he’d help us hide the body. 

Mami’s getting turnt!” Cami whoops and all attention snaps toward us as we round the corner into the dining room. 

“Camilo. You will not speak to or about your mother in such a way.” Abuela tells him crossly.

“I don’t see fun outfits.” Tía scolds us. She loves when people dress up for events and apparently, this is no exception. 

“Can’t we just hangout for once? I don’t wanna put effort into how I look just to sit around the house.” Cami groans. 

“No. It’s your birthday celebration, you have to look nice!” Tía cheers and mami nods in agreement, taking the champagne bottle away from her. 

“Go get ready, niños.” Mami smiles at us and we nod, knowing the consequences from Abuela if we reject it. 

“What are you going to wear?” Mira asks as we make our way back up the stairs. 

“One of my dresses.” I shrug. “Tonight’s going to be problematic enough as it is without Abuela’s transphobia.” 

“You’d look good either way, mi príncipe.” Cami smiles at me. 

“Flirt.” I chuckle and he dramatically puts his hands over the left side of his chest. 

“Only for you.” He tells me and I roll my eyes playfully. “You cut me deep, amor. I didn’t know romance was dead.” 

“Wrong side of your chest, mi querida.” I giggle to him and he quickly fixes it. “Are we going casual dressy or formal dressy?” 

“I’d guess formal. Think like the town’s gonna be here. I think I did a pretty good job treating your green dress if you wanna wear that.” Mira offers and I nod excitedly. That’s my favorite dress she’s made for me. 

“Do I go with or without a blazer?” Cami asks. 

“Oh my god, the simplicity of wearing masculine clothes.” I groan. “It’s formal, not black tie. I’d say no blazer.” I tell him and he nods. We all go our respective ways to get ready and once I’ve done my hair and slipped into my dress, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma when I sit down to do my makeup. I make my way over to Mira’s room, knocking gently. 

“Come in.” She shouts to me and when I step in, I see clothes strewn across every surface, almost including my face. “Sorry.” She apologizes, stepping away from her closet. “I don’t know what to wear. Ooh.” Her eyes are immediately drawn back to her closet when she spots something she likes. She takes a red dress out and tosses it on top of her bed, which has surprisingly minimal things on it. 

“Why’d you throw it if you like it?” I ask. 

“Well, I threw everything I didn’t want…” She gestures everywhere. “There. But I put things I liked on my bed. I only have two.”

“Less of a choice, then.” I shrug. “Let me help you clean up.” We start shoving things back into her closet and when we finish, I hold up both of her options. “Now these.” One is red and strapless with a sharp sweetheart neckline. When I hold it up to her, it looks like it stops about midthigh.

“I was thinking about wearing my red elbow gloves with this. Just for some pizzazz.” She tells me, grabbing it and holding it up to herself in her mirror.

“Maybe.” I tell her, taking the dress and holding the other one up to her figure. This one is white and off the shoulders with sleeves that stay on the hands via a ring that slips around the middle finger. It is significantly longer than the other, almost hitting the floor with a slit in the left leg. “Ooh. I like this one a lot.”

“Really?” She asks, pondering my statement into the mirror. 

“Yeah. I feel like the red makes us look like Christmas ornaments.” We both giggle at my statement. 

“You are very correct.” She says through her giggles, putting her red dress away. “What did you need when you came in here?” She asks, looking me up and down. 

“Oh.” I run over to her desk where I pick up my eyeshadow palette from where I set it down. “Should I go with complimentary,” I point to a pinky shade, “or monochromatic?” I ask, pointing to an emerald shade. 

“Monochromatic. Goes better with the dress.” She smiles brightly at me. I turn to leave but she puts a hand on my forearm. “Get ready here. I’m gonna need help getting into this bitch.” We both giggle and I sit down at her vanity to start doing my makeup. Eventually, we’re both ready to go downstairs without the complaint of the adults. Mira stares at us in the mirror with hearts in her eyes, her head resting on my shoulder. 

“You look beautiful, mi dulce.” I tell her, turning and kissing her forehead. 

“So do you, miel.” She pulls me in for a quick peck. “Let’s go.” She takes my hand and we start going downstairs.

------------------------------------
Word Count: 1,140

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed! Stay safe, my dudes <3

Published: (2/17/22) (Month/Day/Year)

Final Word Count: 1,169