Prologue

Song: All We Are by One Republic

{Kirsten}

"Tell me again why you insist on drawing me," I gritted out through my teeth.

"That, I can not tell," the 12 year old boy murmured, poking his head out from behind the eisel. His wooden paint brush placed between his teeth as he inspected my posture."Don't move!"

I groaned quietly, keeping my eyes on the small oak tree to my left. Limbs starting to get tired, I let my elbow sag from my position on the tree branch I leaned upon.

"Kirsten!"

"Jake!"

I mocked, his head shaking as a giggle erupted from my chest. Placing my elbow back on the branch, I waited until I heard the small strokes of the paint brush stop. Eyes glancing over, I watched as he stood up from his stool.

"Alright, I'm done," he smiled proudly.

"Now can I move?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because you love me ," he winked, his lips puckering up. "And you'll obey my every wish!"

"As if!"

Pretending to glare, I moved out of my position and stuck my tongue out at him. His laughter made me smile more.

Starting to make my way over to his side, I tried to lean in and look over his slightly taller frame to take a look. Frustrated, I leaned up and tugged at his black t-shirt.

"Jakey, let me see! Let meee ssseeee!!!"

Tug. Tug. Tug. Slap.

"Oww! Alright, alright! But..."

Stopping , I frowned playfully. My hands came down and grabbed at my favorite black dress.

"You must promise I can do whatever we want next time we see each other."

"No way! "

He shrugged and folded his arms, moving in my way further.

"Fine then, I guess you won't be getting to have a little look then. "

Pouting, I stopped struggling and stood beside him, my hands still placed on his shoulders. Giving him my best puppy eyes, whined softly.

"P..please Jakey...?"

He glanced down at me before looking away, everyone once in a while he'd look back at me.

"That's not fair! You know I can't resist the puppy eyes, " he groaned and moved out of the way.

Giddy, I placed a quick kiss to his cheek as a thank you and went to face the painting. I didn't even notice the redness of his face as I passed, I didn't even feel the redness of mine.