Chapter 5

Song : Let Her Go by Passenger

(Kirsten)

The street was quiet, lamp posts flickering on and off. My feet felt heavy, like weights were shackled onto my ankles like a prisoner.

The light illuminating most my face came from the bright full moon that was shining from above, the lights of the street guiding my way

No cars drove by, everyone probably asleep. Chills ran up and down my spine, my hands running up and down my forearms.

The familiar street sign flashed from a few yards away, the light reflecting on the piece of metal from the street lamps that stand above me.

Dread clutched at my gut, my stomach fluttering in fear. I visibly started to tremble as I slowly made my way to the small apartment mother owned.

Her white, beat up sedan was parked in a heap by the curb, the living room light shining through the windows. Her shadow danced from one side to the next ad she paced through the house, a bottle clasped in her hand.

My eyes glanced back down as I made my way around her car, stepping onto our lawn. Our once lively grass now lay dead and dry, thorns probably hidden between each strand of the plant.

It was only 5 steps to the staircase, my hand starting to sweat. 4 steps , fingers ready to feel the icy coldness of the bronze doorknob. 3 steps-

A menacing growl came from behind me, heavy panting filling the silence soon after. Veins growing cold,  my hand fell limp to my side, my feet automatically turning me around.

I didn't know why or how I felt at that moment, but I had expected to find familiar brown eye's. Yet when I turned around, all I saw was a bright crimson red. It's jaw was wide and frightening, teeth sharp.

Eyes moving on from the face, my gaze traveled the rest of its body, taking in as much detail as I could spot in this dimly lit area.

A black fur covered every inch of its body, the fur long and beautiful. It's eyes were trained on my body, growling louder and louder at each step I took.

Danger screamed at me, my dominant hand reaching up as soon as I was arm length away. I couldn't stop, it's haunting beauty seeming to trap me in a trance.

The wolf snapped at my out stretched hand,  another growl rumbling from deep within him. I could feel his breathe, the uncomfortable heat brushing higher and higher up my fingertips to my wrist.

My mind began to get foggy as the creature came closer, it's nose running up my arm, breathing in my scent.

At each sniff, black dots began to dance around my vision. It's teeth dragged along my forearm, the trail leaving my hand numb.

A minute passed, it's teeth digging slightly deeper as it reached just below my shoulder. I should scream,  call for help, anything. But I couldn't move, I was paralyzed. 

With one final growl, the wolf sink it's teeth until it pierced my skin,  my knees giving out as I lost the battle of staying awake.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Brandon)

The pain of seeing her like this continued to punch me as I watched her drop to the ground. My inner wolf growled menacingly,  ready to lash out if anything else happened.

Fists clenched so tight that I could feel my nails digging into the palm of my hands. Blood boiling,  I could sense my eyes change to one of my wolves, a unique color even to my kin.

That's enough, stop.

The wolf glanced towards my direction, his ears perking up in a sign that he heard me through the pack link. Eyes glowing a slightly darker red, he leaned down and licked her arm, taunting my patience. 

I said stop!  

Alex, the beta, continued to mock me. My wolf yelled and snarled, wanting to claim what was mine. Alex turned away, his tail wagging in pleasure. All I wanted to do was cut off his damn tail.

Stand down, Beta! What I say go-

Do you want me to do it or what?! Do you think I want to do this to you? To her?

My wolf stood it's ground, the growling more tamed. He knew what was going to happen if Alex didn't agree to this, but he wasn't happy with what it means. 

The wolf nudged her arm, her body still unconscious. Alex, still himself, licked her cheek once more before standing back a few feet. Looking back toward me, I nodded once to make sure he got thee message. 

Hurry up and be down with it, we need to get back before anybody notices were gone.

I watched as Alex awkwardly made his way up the steps, his large body brushing against the guide railings. Hesitating,  he reached his paw up and pounded on the door we knew was her's before jumping and running toward my direction.

Let's go before her parents come out!

Nodding in agreement,  I stood there for a few moments longer wishing I could go over there and take her into my arms. But that was impossible, for now only, I hope.