Chapter 12

** Song: Born to Die by Lana Del Ray

Emberly)

My mind was in chaos, everything turned upside down the day I found out that Alex, my best friend, had asked out Kirsten, my other best friend. I don't know why, but my insides were doing flips to the point where I just wanted to hit someone.

Brushing a hair that had slipped loose from my ponytail behind my ear, I couldn't stop myself from wanting to go into his room. I lingered by the doorway of my bedroom, hearing the laughter coming from Kirsten and Erin.

Kirsten. She didn't know anything. She was innocent and scared of what seemed to be mostly people. Even though I would never say this to anyone, I just couldn't picture her help lead our pack along side my brother. She was to innocent. We can't expose her to the harsh reality we lived in. The war, the rouges, our transitions. It was ruthless.

Glancing back, I couldn't help but smile once I saw her smile, Erin screaming at her for who knows what. She tried to keep a straight face but she failed miserably.

My gaze led back toward his door, a pounding rythm coming from his bedroom. I knew he was practicing for tonight, the thought making me feel giddy.

I don't know why, but the feeling made me want to rip my hair out. Yet at the same time, I just wanted to laugh and smile.

Slowly coming near to his door, I quietly opened it a bit. His back was turned to me, black headphones on his head. The music was louder then I expected, but I was thankful that he couldn't hear me.

I could only see half of his body, the wall the largest item I could lay eyes on. His wall was decorated with black music notes, pictures scattered around to match the fumbling lines.

The few photos I could see was mostly of the 6 of us. They were more recent. The party we had went to up in Oregon, our road trip to Yosemite park a few months back.

But one had caught my eye. It held a haunting beauty to it. There was a large lake that reflected the stars and the new moon. Trees loomed around the area, a breathing taking view.

Alex seemed to be holding his camera in one hand, his arm had a brunette pulled close to his side. He was smiling so widely like never before, I don't think he's ever been that happy before. His hair was everywhere, his shirt seeming to cling from him by how drenched he was.

Drawing my attention to the brunette, I realozed I'd recognized that girl anywhere. Kirsten was also wet, her hair in clumped strands. She was slightly hugging him, her cheeks red.

Taking a closer look, I noticed that there was a small ring of purple in Alex's eyes. Surprised, I backed up , letting the door close in my face.

Not hesitating, I backed up before turning back around, charging into my bedroom. The girls seemed to be almost done, Kirsten's lips only partially with color.

"Hey Ember, what color do you thin-"

"Kirsten, do you have any scars on your neck? Or at least anywhere?"

Panic flashed before her expression, her hands slowly moving to pull up the left sleeve of her shoulder.

"I. . . I had this one and a br...bruise," she stuttered, fear laced in her vision.

I was in to much of a hurry to recognize what was happening, why she had fear in her eyes.

Gently but forcefully taking her arm in my hands, I studied the mark on her upperarm, my mouth turning in a deep frown.

"Is there anything-"

"Erin, can you please meet with me in the living room when you're done," I cut her off, already making my way toward the doorway.