29

"And so what? You think you got me to jail and so you have accomplished something?" Sara scoffs, shaking her head "Let me tell you something Emerald, I won't be in here forever. This hasn't ended yet. If Karma wasn't able to teach you the lesson you deserve, I would, and that's a promise" she says, before stomping off with her hands handcuffed.

Life.

It has a way of sending you to places you don't want if you allow it to. Who would have thought, that at the end of all the sleepless nights in college and all the struggle to get to where she was, land a good job, and all, the last spot for her would be in jail? But then Sara allowed herself. She allowed jealousy, rage, and envy to fuel her. Make her do things that she shouldn't have done. Talk to people she shouldn't have, and in the end, send her to places she didn't want and lose those who loved her.

Of course, I loved Sara. I loved her like my sister. Like the sister I never had. I cherished our friendship. I would defend her in my sleep if need be. I would pull her to the side and tell her she is wrong but stand in front of a thousand people and tell them how right she is. That's how much I loved her. But yes, I loved her. And now, I don't think I do anymore. Now, I don't even know what I feel towards her, sympathy maybe? I feel sorry for her, that she has reduced herself to this. She had so much in front of her. So many to do and so many to achieve.

And you would think it's all because of a man. Just because of a man. A man who does not love you. A man who belongs to someone else. All that for what?

It just doesn't make sense. The extent people would do go. What they are willing to lose, just so that they can prove significant and better than others.

I sit still, as the lawyers talk, trying to defend Sara, but I think all of us in the courtroom right now, along with the judge, knows there is no saving her.

And that is proven to be true when he says, "After going through the files and hearing the witnesses and inspecting the evidence provided, the court has come to a decision. The accused Miss Sara Solso has been found guilty."

I watch as the life drains from her eyes as if she cannot believe it.

"NO! I will not accept this! All of you are ganging up on me!! What do you mean I have been found guilty? This is all just a lie. I was just fighting for what is mine don't you understand that?!" She yells, her voice getting higher and higher.

I pick my bag up and hold tighter onto Sebastian's hand, before getting up from my seat. I have seen all I wanted to, there's no need to be here any longer.

"One thing you should understand Sara is that Sebastian was and is never going to be yours. You were just trying to take something that didn't belong to you all while fueled by envy and jealousy. I am sorry. I am deeply sorry for you, that it has to come to this just because you wouldn't understand yourself."

"You came between us! You stopped our wedding!"

"If you were to get married, nothing I would do would get in your way, but that wedding didn't push through, because you Sara, you are the wrong bride"

"This isn't over Emerald"

"Tell that to me when you are a free woman. Which at this point, looks like a wild goose chase" I say and turn away from her, walking out of the courtroom.

It is true, that in life, we don't lose friends and the people we love, we just know those who are not meant to stay.

I guess Sara wasn't meant to stay in my life.

☆☆

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" Sebastian asks me when we get home.

Home. We now have a home. When we walk out, we have somewhere we are going to come back to. Our solitude. Personal haven. Peace of mind.

But it didn't come easily. Three years of heartache and losses. Hardships, ups, and downs. And yet here we are. I guess if it does belong to you, and if it's meant to be, it will always be.

I nod, "I'm alright"

He walks towards me, a comforting smile on his face, "Are you sure? I know it when you are not fine. You look solemn my love"

I take both his hands in mine, sighing deeply, "I guess it's all just so overwhelming"

"I understand. It's not easy to see years of friendship go down the drain so effortlessly"

"I guess I always knew Sara and I had a deadline. I always knew at a point our friendship would come to an end. I felt it when it did, but then I tried to ignore it because I thought everyone deserved a chance"

"And that's why I love you" he smiles, placing a soft kiss on my lips, cradling my face in both his hands "That soft heart that gives everyone a chance. That gave me a chance. That tries to see the good in everyone"

"How could I not give you a chance?" I smile, wrap my arms around his neck, and place my lips on his.

My tongue slips into his mouth, and he releases a groan, the hold on my waist tightening. His hands roam, and travel down to my ass, squeezing tightly, causing me to gasp.

He hikes me up, and I wrap my legs around his waist, trying to get closer to him.

"You make it so hard to keep my hands off you" Seb breathes on my lips, and I grind against him, trying to relieve myself from the pressure rapidly building between my legs.

"Maybe I don't want you to" I wink, attaching my lips back to his.