Chapter 20

September 6, 1995

So here we are. I guess I probably should have started with Dear Diary or something cheesy like that, but it seems ridiculous. It's not like I'm doing this for fun anyway and this stupid little book is far from dear to me.

My therapist says I need to write down my feelings to help me better understand my anger issues. I already know why I'm angry. It's everyone else that doesn't get it. I don't need some shrink reading between the lines of this journal and picking apart my every thought and feeling in search of some deeper meaning that just doesn't exist. 

There's nothing my parents or their self-righteous doctors can do to make it better. I've seen the people around me for what they are and it hurts more than they can imagine.

What do you do when you step through the looking glass and realize the world you thought you knew doesn't exist? You don't know how to move forward. You can't go back. Everything I thought I knew was a lie.

You can't just pretend that everything is ok once you know the truth. You can't just "be yourself" anymore because the truth creates a new version of you. So now that I'm no longer part of the lie everyone's decided I'm part of the problem.

I've been isolated, pushed out, and forced into some kind of weird psychiatric exile. They think by forcing me to believe I'm crazy it will absolve them of their sins. It doesn't work that way.

I peeked behind the curtain and I don't like what I've seen. I like even less what that says about who I am as a person. Was I blind for so long? Was I so shallow? So oblivious? So self-absorbed that I didn't see the truth right in front of me?

I guess I must have been. Maybe it's not too late to make it right though. I can change things. I don't need to be that person anymore. I don't have to be a part of the lie. I can expose it instead.

There is nothing left for me now but to watch and wait. So that's what I'll do. For now.

Andra's voice trailed off into an uneasy silence as she finished reading laying the open book down on the bed beside her

Andra's voice trailed off into an uneasy silence as she finished reading laying the open book down on the bed beside her. The angry tenor of Savannah's words seemed surreal in comparison to the sounds of chattering birds, laughing children, and the roar of a distant lawnmower floating in on the breeze through the open window. Outside these walls, an entirely normal world existed that Andra felt like she was no longer a part of.

Cameron sat in front of her his head resting inches from Andra's knee where she sat perched on the bed. His eyes were closed and his arms lay loosely crossed over his broad chest. The afternoon sunlight that filtered softly through the curtains behind them bathed the room in its warm glow. It danced across the tanned skin of Cameron's arms and his upturned face. Andra watched him intently waiting for any type of response. His entire posture screamed nonchalance but the tightness around his eyes and the clenched jaw were sure signs that he was more anxious than he let on.