Chapter 32

August 20, 1996

Someone left a note for me today. I can't imagine who would want to meet with me. It can't be Melanie or Greg. They wouldn't have bothered with all the theatrics. There's only one other person I can think of but why wait until the party? Why send me a note? Only someone hiding something big would be so secretive. Is it possible someone else knows what they did? I wish. I haven't been able to turn up anything on my own. It would be nice to have help. I'm starting to worry that they're going to get away with it. 

Andra navigated the narrow path that led down to the lookout at the Bluffs

Andra navigated the narrow path that led down to the lookout at the Bluffs. Cameron was just ahead of her and moving along quicker than Andra was comfortable with. Having been here quite a few times with his friends he knew the trails well. They had been looking for a quiet place to discuss their plans and what they knew so far. Neither one of their houses were viable options.

Cameron's little sister was home for the day sick with what his mother referred to as a summer cold. His mother had stayed home to look after her. Andra's was also occupied since they had yet to finish repairing the busted water line at her mother's office. After some discussion, they decided that the Bluffs would be the best place. Not only was it quiet but Andra was hoping the connection it had to Savannah might get her closer to the answers she needed.

They had been out earlier in the afternoon to purchase new cell phones. Cameron admittedly had it a little easier than Andra. He told his parents that he had accidentally dropped his phone into Rob's pool while they were messing around. He had gotten a lecture on being more responsible but they eventually gave him the money to replace it. Andra on the other hand had been forced to pay for hers from her own pocket. The guy who had come out to look at the security cameras had told her mom that it seemed to be some kind of power surge that had fried not only the cameras but everything else plugged into an outlet in their kitchen. As a result, Andra hadn't had much choice but to keep the phone situation to herself. They had been through too much for her mom to be getting suspicious now.

Arriving at the bottom of the trail they walked across the clearing to the fence that separated the open space from the drop below. They took a moment to take in the view. The day was sunny and the late afternoon sun sparkled off the surface of the water as if it were coated in diamonds. The tall trees that grew in and around the embankment danced in the breeze that rolled in off the water. Cameron was the first to break the silence.

"So this note, did you get a chance to really look at it?"

"I did and I see what you're saying about the clues but I'm still at a loss."

On closer examination, Andra realized that there were a few things about the scrap of paper that she hadn't originally noticed. It was written on some type of thin crisp brown paper that had several dark stains scattered around it. There was also a shiny gold emblem emblazoned in the bottom right-hand corner. It had been circular Andra thought but the way the paper had been ripped had left the design jagged and misshapen.