Chapter 23

March 25, 1996

It's been a while since I've had anything worth writing about here. The holidays passed in a blur of gifts and family dinners that no one wanted to be present at but everyone felt obligated to attend. Once it was over the world just continued to roll along like everything hadn't completely changed. 

For a while, one day just bled into another. I existed, numb and uncaring, floating through the days. My therapist would probably say I'm depressed but who knows. I quit seeing her in January. She can't help me with what I need to do now. I couldn't bear to part with my little diary though. I've become quite attached to it. When you're friendless and living in self-imposed isolation you learn to value any form of communication no matter how pathetic. 

 Maybe things are finally starting to look up though. My parent's divorce is right around the corner from being finalized. A strange thing to be happy about I know but the truth is strange sometimes. I can't handle anymore of this coldness and anger. The judge wants to talk to me about who I'd like to live with. I already know just what I'll say when I get the chance. I'm so ready for it to be settled. I will never get used to being the rope in my parent's tug of war. The constant back and forth between houses is to much.

This week is my Dad's turn. He picked me up from school today and we stopped by the diner on the way home. While we were there I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen since she left for college. She's moving back home and will be working not too far from here. Maybe I'll drop in and see her one day. I've really missed talking to Denise.

"What do you mean you've seen her too?" Cameron asked incredulously

"What do you mean you've seen her too?" Cameron asked incredulously.  Melanie took a deep breath before speaking. She seemed to be searching for just the right words. "Greg and I both. We saw her. The weekend she died."

Andra had played this conversation out in her head a million times. Of all the different scenarios she had imagined this one hadn't been in the cards. 

Melanie was sitting quietly almost solemnly waiting for their reaction. "I don't even know where to start with that," Andra said. 

"You can start by answering my question first. Have you seen her?" 

Andra felt Cameron's hand close around hers across the table giving it a squeeze. She squeezed back but couldn't look at him. If she looked at him now she was afraid of what her face might give away.

"Yes. We've seen her."

"Both of you?" 

"Yeah," Andra answered. Melanie didn't seem to be surprised at this confirmation. If Andra was reading her correctly she expected it. "Where? Just Once?"

 "I've seen her twice. Once in a dream and once at my house." Andra answered quietly. "Cameron has seen Savannah in her house. She attacked him."

"She attacked you?" Melanie asked in astonishment addressing Cameron directly for the first time since they met.