Chapter 16

Andra stepped out of the bathroom steam billowing out behind her as she ran a towel over her damp hair. She had showered and dressed hastily in a pair of black leggings and her favorite grey hoodie. The urge to question her mother was strong but the need to cleanse her skin after her last encounter with Savannah was stronger.

Hesitating outside her bedroom she took a deep breath before gingerly pushing the door open. Her body was poised to run at the first hint of danger every muscle pulled tight as piano wire as she surveyed the empty room.

Andra allowed herself to relax a little as she moved into the familiar space. The room still carried the faint odor of her late-night visitor and she unconsciously wrinkled her nose as she stepped inside. She had taken the wastebasket beside her desk down to the trash and dumped it before her shower but the smell still lingered.

Leaning over her desk she flipped on the small wax burner that sat there and then threw her towel into the hamper in the corner of the room. She left the door open hoping as she headed downstairs that the smell of her favorite sugar and spice wax melt and some fresh air would get rid of the scent that still hung in the air.

The sun had just started to rise as she headed into the kitchen. Her mom was moving around at the stove and had the radio playing quietly in the background. They were never up this early but the thought of going back to sleep was out of the question for both of them. Andra had some serious questions for her mother and now that she felt clean again the possible answers to those questions were all she could think about.

"Do you want some breakfast hon?" Denise asked without turning.

At the mention of food, Andra felt her stomach do a barrel roll.

"Thanks but no thanks." She said shaking her head quickly. She did however pour herself a large cup of black coffee before sitting at the table. Wrapping her hands tightly around her favorite mug she let it warm her cold trembling fingers as she waited on her mother to join her.

She was staring out the large window in their breakfast nook watching the sun start to break over the tops of the trees when her mother placed a small plate of muffins and a bowl of eggs in the center of the table. She returned to the kitchen to retrieve two plates and her steaming cup of coffee.

"There are plenty of eggs if you change your mind." Her mother offered taking a seat across from Andra. Andra's stomach did another unhappy little flip at the thought of food. She was having a really hard time getting the image of Savannah out of her head. The decomposing nightmare that had visited her overnight and food did not belong in the same sentence. Her stomach tightened uncomfortably every time she remembered it.

"You never did answer my question?" Her mother said picking at her food. "Where did you get that picture?"

Andra shook her head quickly forcing a smile that under the circumstances felt completely unnatural.

"No way not this time Mama. You first. You recognized the girl in that picture. How?"

Denise stared out the window for a moment that seemed to drag into an immeasurable amount of eternities for Andra. When she finally turned back she sighed quietly before meeting her daughter's unflinching gaze.

"Savannah was a friend of mine. Back when I used to go to high school here. I was living here when she died."

Andra felt her heart skip a beat and when her stomach began to tighten again she found herself immensely grateful for her decision to avoid breakfast. She tried desperately to control her facial expression although she had no idea how successful she was. Her mother was studying her intently and some unknown instinct was telling Andra that it would be unwise for her mother to know just how much she was affected by this new revelation.