Chapter 27

June 12, 1996

Please God help me. I don't know what I'm going to do. This cannot be my life. It can't be real. He's gone. He's really gone.

"Alright then, let storytime begin," Cameron said from the backseat

"Alright then, let storytime begin," Cameron said from the backseat. Melanie rolled her eyes but smiled despite herself. Gazing off into the distance she took a moment to gather her thoughts before beginning.

"I guess the thing to understand here is that Savannah's home life was different than what most of us were accustomed to. Savannah's parents never had a lot of time for her. She acted like it didn't bother her but those of us who were close to Savannah knew different. Both of her parents maintained extremely demanding careers. Donald was busy with his patients. He would leave early and come in late. As the only doctor in a small town practice, he was always on call."

"Gloria wasn't much different. The bulk of her work was done on the road. Much of her time was spent out of town at business conferences or meeting with clients. When Savannah was young Gloria had repurposed one of their guest rooms into a library/office. She would work from there in between trips locking herself in for hours some days."

Andra was reminded of the conversation she'd had with her mother a few mornings before. "My mom went to school at Inglewood High and she more or less confirmed what you're saying. She said Savannah's parents didn't even bother to show up for her first exhibition game."

"Wait. Your mom played at Inglewood? Savannah and I started the same year. Who is your mom?"

"Denise Morris. It would have been Benson back then."

"Your mom is Denise? She was amazing. They won three of their state championships while she was playing. All of the rookies adored her. She treated us like we mattered and it wasn't unusual for her to stay after practice to help the kids who needed it." Melanie looked over at Andra taking her in as if she were seeing her for the first time. "I can't believe you're Denise's daughter. How crazy is this?"

"Definitely crazy." Andra agreed. The coincidences kept piling up and Andra once again had the unsettling feeling that she was trapped on a runaway train.

Melanie shook her head in disbelief. "Denise Benson's daughter," she muttered quietly under her breath. Andra could see that this new revelation had distracted her and quickly attempted to redirect Melanie with another question.

"So you're saying she didn't have a good relationship with her parents?"

"No. Not exactly," Melanie answered slowly still considering the twist of fate that had brought them to this point. "Savannah's relationship with her dad was good, if not a little distant, but she and Gloria were a different story. There was always friction there. They never saw eye to eye on anything. I think Gloria had always dreamt of a little girl to follow in her footsteps. Someone who loved clothes, spa days, and shopping sprees in the city every bit as much as she did. Instead, she got Savannah." Melanie said a mischievous little grin crossing her lips as she spoke of her friend.