Chapter Thirteen

Contents Under Pressure Part Two - Chapter Thirteen

"He's burning up!" Clarke notified us, I scrambled for a wet cloth.

I groaned loudly and shrugged off the blanket, it dropped to the floor. I looked through things, trying to find something to wipe away the spit coming from his mouth. Clarke rolled Finn onto his side, she and Raven were both scared. I was too, but they had feelings for him. It was obvious in both of their eyes when Finn came around in anything.

"Raven, there's fluid in his lungs. He could choke, quick." Clarke shouted at Raven to snap out of her daze.

"Fluid in his lungs? Is that supposed to mean the knife hit something?" Raven asked with a croaky voice.

I finally found a cloth, I dipped it in a bucket of rain water and ran over to Finn. I passed Clarke the dripping cloth so she could clean the white foam oozing from Finn's mouth. I leaned back onto a box and hazily looked over at the two girls.

"No, this isn't blood, it's something else. I- I did everything she told me." Clarke huffed, nearly crying. "Wait, I've seen this before. Shortness of breath, fever, it's poison."

I blinked a few times and furrowed my eyes, memories of books from younger grades flooded my brains. I remembered when we did earth skills, I was assigned onto plants, I was addicted to that book for years. I studied each plant until I knew everything, even though I did a horrible job on the assignment. I remembered reading about the Strychnine Tree story, how Cleopatra would ask her servants to take the berries from that tree instead of feeling the wrath of the Asp, which was a giant snake. Vomiting, convulsions, seizing, death.

I snapped my head up and looked at Raven, "Strychnine, it's a deadly poison found in North America."

Raven frowned at me and sucked in a frustrated breath. Clarke was missing, I furrowed my eyebrows and heard the familiar clacking of boots against the ladder. I gasped and followed after her, leaving Raven with Finn.

Clarke was above me, pounding on the hatch door that they probably locked when I left. I groaned and gripped onto the rails, Clarke moved from her spot and I quickly followed after her. I felt someone following me too, I quickly glanced down to see Octavia under me.

I jumped up onto the third floor and saw that Clarke was already asking questions to the Grounder who didn't speak. I moved out of the way so Octavia could come up to, I felt eyes on me.

I consciously looked down to see that I was still in my undershorts (a little longer than boyshorts) and sports bra. A large blush crept onto my cheeks as I crossed my arms over my chest.

Clarke turned around to see Octavia and I, she whipped back around and held the poisoned knife up to the Grounders face.

"What's on this?" Clarke demanded.

"What are you talking about?" Bellamy asked, quickly looking my way before to Clarke.

"He poisoned the blade. All this time you knew Finn was going to die no matter what we did." Clarke spat back, Octavia stepped forward with a confused look. "What is it?!"

"It's Strychnine." I told her, the Grounders head looked at me with shock. "Yeah, I know what it is."

"Is there an antidote?" Clarke asked me, the knife was still up in the air.

"No, not that I know of." I shook my head, her face fell. "But Clarke, they know the forest like the back of their hands, they must have one."

Clarke pursed her lips together then turned back to the Grounder. "Where is the antidote?"

The Grounder gave her more silence. Octavia was angry, she was upset over this whole ordeal, so was I. Both kidnapping the Grounder and the poisoning. But if the grounder wasn't here right now Finn could die, so one point to Bellamy for thinking for future purposes.