Chapter Twenty Two

We Are Grounders Part Two - Chapter Twenty Two

Song that goes with this chapter - Innocent by Taylor Swift

After showing me all the ropes and giving me a quick instruction under twenty minutes, Lincoln helped me up on a dark brown steed. I smiled at the animal underneath me, Tyslter - his name- whinnied at the feeling of a new rider on his back. Lincoln mounted his horse and put my unconscious sister in front of him, she rolled her head onto his shoulder.

Lincoln clicked his tongue and trotted over to me, putting on his scary mask he was wearing before. The thick fur coat that Lincoln had given me to blend in was heavy on my shoulders, the black makeup that was smashed over my eyes uncomfortably stuck to my skin.

"Just stay behind me, don't come too close." He tells, I give him a nod before following after him.

I held the reins tightly in my hands, my body jumping up and down with the horses strides. Frowning I gently kicked the sides of the horse and made it go faster, catching up to Lincolns marvelous speed. It felt weird on this type of transportation, my butt was already starting to ache.

Lincoln made a right, turning into a large bush and jumping over a large log. My eyes widened and I made my horse slow down, I went around the log before galloping again.

I caught up to him in on time, the wind pushing my hair back. I was glad for the coat that smelt like dead animals because if I just had my coat from the Ark on I'd be freezing. In the distance I saw firelight, my stomach turned with nervousness. This is what the Grounder look is for, I told myself. The knot in my stomach tightened when Lincoln slowed down his two headed horse, Tyslter's breathing floated in the air.

Giving him a small pat on his neck I pulled on the reins, I stopped beside Lincoln. The knot in my stomach was untwisted, any anxiety I had was now gone. We were on a hill top, across the valley of mist was a lit signal fire. I blinked a few times, realizing what Lincoln had done.

He had set the signal fire from the valley, the one that Anya thought was a from the reapers. If Lincoln was caught for doing this I don't even know how much pain he would be in for helping us. I stayed steady on my horse as Lincoln helped my now awake sister to the Ground, he cut her restraints just as he did to mine.

A dark shadow walked away from his hiding spot behind the teepee lit fire. Finn stood there with his hands in his pockets, he was alive. Clarke smiled and called out for him, running to hug him.

Clarke and him talked, she didn't understand any of it. I gazed down to Lincoln who was standing on my left side. Shifting on the saddle that made my horse snort I jumped off the horse and fell into Lincoln's arms. He gently let me down on the soft earth, he handed me the reins.

Giving him a small smile I turned over towards the two, Clarke ran up to Lincoln, a sad look on her face.

"Where's my sister, she was with me?" Clarke asked, a confused look crossed her face when she studied me, thinking I was a friend of his.

Finn joined us, nodding his head to agree with Clarke. I let a light chuckle come from my lips. Clarke and Finn gave me a angry look before turning to Lincoln asking the question again. Lincoln must of done a really good job with the makeup I was wearing.

"Lincoln, I'm very happy that I'm alive and Finn is too but, where is my sister? She was with me before I passed out, please don't tell me s-" Clarke babbled on but I placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Clarke, I only just got on the ground, I'm not dying yet." I gave her a smirk.

Her face was priceless. Her lips were forming an 'O' shape and so was Finn. Her surprised look was soon filled with a hopeful on, she crashed into me. I stumbled back, regaining my balance before returning a bone crushing hug. She laughed in my ear before pulling away, Finn gave me a wide smile.