Chapter 7

A colorful skullcap covered Tón Greco's ash-blond hair. He sat in the car's back seat, sipping a takeout coffee. "Coffee is life. A cup of joe burns fat and improves physical performance." He took another reviving sip. "It also lowers your risk from diseases and boosts longevity."

Kristy laughed. "So does exercise."

"Don't get him started, love." Victor yawned as he pulled the car into the school's parking lot.

Tón slid out as soon as the engine shut off, slamming the door behind him. Victor rubbed his tired eyes before reaching for Kristy's backpack. A slender hand stopped him.

"Why so tired lately?"

"Too much on my mind." Victor shrugged. "Between the naughty Duo, the naughtier magic, and these bloody nightmares I've been having, I haven't gotten ample sleep."

Since learning of his link to the professor, the haunting dreams persisted. The content remained the same—a vengeful Professor Craig blaming him for his death and seeking retribution. The talks with Dr. Mason continued, but the teen still hadn't mentioned the nightmares or his parentage. He'd taken to flipping through the professor's journals well into the night as he searched for clues surrounding his origins.

Professor Craig once said to trust his intuition. Instinct led him to the journals.

The illogical part of him believed the professor's spirit haunted him for letting him die. If I had agreed with the voice and gone straight to him, would he be here today? He'd asked himself the same question the last three years with no viable answer. Two weeks of interrupted sleep compounded with large doses of guilt began to wear on Victor.

"I'll have results from GenTrak's servers tomorrow. That'll ease your mind. I had to learn how to magically set queries linked to keywords. You'll have it soon as I get it."

"I don't mind you reading it. I trust you."

The genie beamed with pleasure.

"How in blazes did you learn to do the computer stuff?"

"You don't want to know."

Considering what Kristy had done was most likely illegal, he agreed. It bothered him that she had nicked the information but admitted this was something he needed to know. After several conversations with Dr. Mason, who'd become a frequent visitor to the house, Victor understood his individualistic nature held him back. He'd grown to admire the man, who'd convinced him that connecting with others was the best way to conduct matters of importance. Connections improved progress.

It was a hard pill for a caretaker to swallow. Instead of balking at the illicit help, Victor swallowed the guilt. "Thanks, Kristy."

"No thanks needed." Her lovely eyes twinkled. "It's nice doing things for you."

"I could say the same."

She placed a finger over his lips, silencing him. "Don't explain it away." To Victor's delight, Kristy removed her finger, replacing it with soft lips in a brief kiss of gratitude. "Thanks, Vic."

Happiness flowed through his system like a waterfall. Victor tried to think of something witty to say, to show his deep regard for her. Instead, he blurted out, "You'd be great in a scary movie." At her wide-eyed look, Victor stammered out, "I-I-I meant seeing a scary movie. Together."

"Thought you were calling me a monster." Kristy gave him a sly look, her breath mingling with his. "Let's watch one together. We'll hold hands if you get frightened." She burst into laughter, and seconds later, he joined in.

Banging on the car window halted their conversation. Nick Johnson and Tón peeked in, grinning and winking. Although the two were Victor's best mates, they made the most unlikely grouping. Whereas Victor liked to remain discreet and inconspicuous, Tón and Nick preferred the spotlight, taking outrageous to a higher level.