Chapter 10

A shriek of sheer panic shattered the silence.

Nick rubbed his eyes before gawking at the unfamiliar scenery of trees and shrubbery dotting the mist-covered area. He spun around before choking out a hysterical giggle, the laughter distorted in the gloomy surroundings. "Dead! We're dead!"

The Duo made a beeline for Victor, who took a moment to adjust to the strangeness of the situation, too stunned to be afraid. He glanced at Kristy as she stood with eyes narrowed. Looking down, he saw the chalk-covered patch of ground that was once a sidewalk. The markings shone with a faint greenish tint.

"Bloody magic," he muttered.

"Killed while trick-or-treating!" Nick dropped to the ground and continued his insane laughter. "What a way to gooooo!"

Kristy nodded at the dazed Nick. "Vic, pull him together. Use a spell if you need to." The genie stepped away, moving outward to scan the perimeter.

Victor stalked over to his friend, and hauled the frightened teen to his feet. He couldn't blame the bloke. His first experience with magic hadn't been a walk in the park either.

"Nick, we aren't dead!" 

Nick seized Victor's forearms as if clinging to a lifeline. "Where are we if we aren't dead?"

"I don't know... yet," Victor replied, his eyes never leaving Nick's. "But I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." In his eyes, the mantle of caretaker now extended to include a dreadlock-wearing teen and a beautiful genie.

"B-u-u-t stuff like this doesn't happen in real life. We're dead!"

"Nick, unbelievable as it sounds, this is... magic. I'm sorry you're involved." Victor swore that he'd get them to safety no matter the cost. "It's a double life I lead, but I won't let anyone come to harm."

Nick's wild eyes latched onto Victor's as his aura, with a strong hint of magic, began to soothe his agitated friend. He needed Nick functioning while they figured a way out of this mess. 

"You... You'll save me, English?"

"I'll do my best." Victor released Nick and stepped back.

"No," whined Nick, his fingers grabbing for Victor. "Put your arms around me. Hold me tight!"

Victor balked and shuffled back further. "What the?"

A fed-up Rosetta marched over to Nick and kicked him in the shin with a booted foot. Hard.

"Ow!" Nick turned to the child as he flicked back his wayward dreads, anger overtaking the fear. "Yikes on bikes, Rosetta! What the heck?"

"You ain't helping. Let go so Vic can help us!" The child stood with arms akimbo, frowning up at the older boy. "Woman up, skippy!"

Her words had the desired effect. Nick glared at the little girl as he stood straighter. "I'm hooked on reality, kid!" His arm swept out over the bleak scenery surrounding them. "This ain't reality!"

Seeing his sister had humiliated Nick into submission, Victor hurried away.

Three magics, known as Disciplines, lived inside him, the power of genies, fairies, and witches. The combination of the entities formed a column of white magic—a merging of the blue, red, and green. Focusing on his combined power and remembering to keep his emotions in check, he reached outward in a quest for knowledge.

The spell's thickness surrounded them—its dark nature suffocated his senses. This fabrication didn't feel normal. The evil sensation indicated a path straight toward the darker side of magic.