Chapter 27

Kristy wrinkled her nose in distaste at the cup Marta held out to her. Hic! She peeked inside,  noting the concoction resembled a toxic waste spill. "What's in it?" she asked, fearful of the answer. Hic!

The office was small, if not cozy. Pale blue walls softened the space, and an archtop window overlooked the parking lot. A computer, office phone, and an array of folders sat on the neoclassic desk. Books, catalogs, and instruction notebooks lined the bookshelves behind the ornate desk. The full-length oil painting of a younger Marta, with graceful arms and a fierce glare, remained the most impressive item in the room.

"My nagymama, my grandmother, created it. It's a bit of tabasco sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and a pepper dash." Marta shoved the cup into Kristy's hand, then took her place behind the desk. "Drink, then we'll talk."

Judging by the smell, Kristy thought the hiccups weren't as bad as Marta's demon brew. She only got them when she breathed in a burst of air, like during sudden fits of laughter. Or nerves. Still, the genie took a mouthful—and gagged.

"Disgusting!" Kristy put the cup on the edge of the desk. "I need sandpaper to get the residue off my tongue."

Marta raised an eyebrow. "But your hiccups are gone."

"So are my taste buds."

The instructor chuckled. "Touché, my dear."

Kristy suppressed an urge to magic the cup and its contents into the nearest river, hoping it wouldn't kill the fish. "My laughing fit—I assure you it doesn't happen often. Nerves got the best of me and made me more ticklish than usual."

"I figured as much. You'll get used to the nerves." Marta leaned back in her chair. "I've performed and taught ballroom and Latin for over three decades. I know partnering and how to pick them for myself and others. Victor dances well with everyone I've paired him with. Last November, he partnered three students at the Cleveland competition, and they all returned with first and second place medals. I've held back on assigning him a permanent partner because I haven't seen that connection, that spark... until now."

Kristy beamed with pleasure at the thought of another link with Victor. "Dancing with Vic is my dream, but I'm not gold level, nor do I have a couple of championships in my back pocket like he does."

"Doesn't matter. When Victor turns eighteen this summer, I want him to register as a pro and extend his teaching duties while getting you up to speed with competing." Marta leaned forward, her eyes studying the genie. "You claim you've never danced ballroom. I'd call you a liar if I didn't trust Victor."

"In my... country... there are styles of dance that have many of the same principles. We didn't do the partnering part, though." Kristy remembered the rigorous training the women and girls were forced to endure. All for the men's enjoyment. 

"What kind of dancing was it?" asked Marta.

Kristy's eyes dropped to her clenched fingers. "It doesn't translate well."

"I see." Marta raised a perfectly arched eyebrow. "Victor told me you're quietly dating, which is a touchy situation with partners. He won't let your relationship interfere with performing. Can you say the same?"

Kristy could only think of one thing that would ruin their relationship. She prayed Tarje and her father had forgotten about marrying her off but knew it to be a long shot. "Of course, Marta."

"Good. You and Victor will work with me twice a week and start competing in late summer, along with prepping for the summer showcase. I expected this partnership to bring me many trophies and even more recognition for the studio."