Chapter 12

The Dueling Duo cheered as they ran to the teens sprawled on the lawn, leaving Nick to follow behind. Both dived on their brother, causing him to wince in pain. Kristy prudently pulled them off, protecting Victor from the children and the bulging pillowcase filled with Halloween candy.

Victor sat up, his eyes landing on a beamy Nick. "Are you alright?"

"I'm a bit shooketh but fine." Nick reached out a hand, pulling Victor to his feet.

"You probably hate me after tonight. Nick, I'm so sorry." Victor shuddered at the thought of losing his oldest mate. "I understand if... if you never want to speak to me again."

"Hey, you kept your promise. We're alive and safe. The Duo explained about you being a caretaker and having magical woo-woo and stuff." Nick wiggled his fingers as his face oozed with compassion. He reached out and yanked a surprised Victor into a bear hug. "Your life is like a fantasy book, dude. Why didn't you tell me? We're bros, English. I'd have been there for you."

Victor teared up, burying his face in his friend's shoulder. "Would you have believed me?"

"True dat 'cause it is unbelievable. But you supported me through some hellish times in my life, like when my Gran died or getting my heart broken twice by the same girl. That accounts for a lot in my book. Don't worry, your secret's safe with me." Nick patted his back. "Nobody would believe me anyway."

Kristy peeked up at him as she surveyed her ruined costume. "Quite true."

Victor relaxed for the first time since being transported to that horrid reality. The only thing his group had lost was time. "Jason, what time is it?"

Jason checked his phone and then whistled. "That's weird. It's not even nine yet."

"Time isn't always linear in an alternate reality," explained Kristy as she gave up on salvaging her costume. "Rats, I liked this outfit."

The glow from the streetlight shone like a beacon in the moonless night. By mutual consent, they made their way to the sidewalk, the lamppost creating distorted shadows as they headed for home.

Victor ambled between Kristy and the talkative Nick, worn out but content. They'd made it through another tricky altercation, thanks to Lady Luck. It broke his heart that lives were lost, but the blame lay on Oliver's selfishness. Still, guilt lay heavy on a heart that knew there could be no regrets. He'd have never given up his loved ones to the Four.

His hand touched his burning chest—probably heartburn.

"Kris, what happened to Oliver and crew?" Nick asked in a low voice.

The genie sighed. "Dead. Oliver blew the tunnel."

"Wha? But, why?"

"Well, you see—"

The explanation ended as the ongoing argument between the Duo grew heated.

"I wasn't crying," said Rosetta. "I just teared up."

Jason laughed. "Yeah, right. You cried like you had diaper rash."

"Did not."

The boy tossed the heavy candy sack over his shoulder. "Did too."

"Did not."

"Did too."

Victor listened with half an ear. The sensation in his chest grew warmer, and he began to sweat. His inner column of magic pulsated like a beating heart. The odd feeling caused the teen to look within. Strange for the white column to thump now. But there, right in the middle—