Chapter 15

The fact that he'd failed the professor with his magical shortcomings continued to haunt Victor, reflecting heavily in his dreams. He grew tired and irritable, so a worried Lovedae increased his sessions with Dr. Mason. She also suggested he pay more attention to the world he lived in.

"I wished you'd back off magic. It's no good for you," she'd said as he ate dinner, baked beans over toast. "Your job and grades are much more important."

Dr. Mason endorsed the sentiment during one of their talks. "Spend more time on topics of interest instead of magic," advised Dr. Mason as they walked, bundled in coats and hats, toward the clearing. "Give your humanity first dibs." As usual, the doctor stopped before entering the clearing. "Let's turn back, dear boy."

As they turned, Victor asked, "Still not ready to see Papa's tribute, sir?"

A look of profound sadness crossed the learned man's face. "No."

Reading the professor's journals became a ritual. Victor wasn't ready to divulge any findings or his failures to the doctor or Lovedae, but there were two he needed to bring into the loop on a different topic. Keeping their kinship from the Duo seemed quite unfair.

Dr. Mason volunteered to take Lovedae shopping for Thanksgiving dinner the next day. Victor thought it a perfect time to speak to his siblings. He found Rosetta and Jason sitting on the stairs, arguing.

"We need to talk," he said, settling himself on the floor.

They turned to him, Jason making himself comfortable against the post, but Rosetta got up and dropped herself onto Victor's lap. The simple gesture warmed his heart.

Victor snuggled the little girl. "I need to tell you something important about me... and Papa."

"About you being Daddy's bio son?" asked Rosetta. She shrugged when Victor gaped at her. "We snuck back upstairs when you and mom talked."

Victor wanted to reprimand the Duo for eavesdropping but held his tongue.

Jason nodded. "We're happy about it, honest."

"You didn't tell me? I've been feeling guilty for nothing," Victor scolded.

Jason shrugged. "You and Mom keep the juicy from us all the time."

"Yeah, like that DNA stuff you and Kristy talked about," added Rosetta. "That was wild!"

Victor's eyes widened. "You eavesdropped again?" The Duo had the grace to look sheepish, but he only snickered. "Tell you what—we're supposed to pack up books in Papa's study, but instead, you can help me search for information. Papa knew something weird was happening, but we need facts to support it."

Rosetta hopped up. "You can trust us to help!"

The Grant children worked in the study and pretended to catalog and box up the professor's books. Instead, they poured over the journal collection and the professor's papers. Victor prayed the Duo were as meticulous as he was but gave up hope when he caught the two playing a rousing game of dots and boxes on the back of a report.

Jason gave his brother an awkward grin when Victor snatched the paper away. "Just taking a break."

Rosetta scowled. "Just when I was winning."

"It's okay." Victor sighed. "Bedtime. School tomorrow." When the two had gone, he read deep into the night, anxious to avoid the dreams that loomed in the background. Picking up an old brown journal, Victor began to read—and struck pay dirt. Now wide awake, he reread the contents, secured paper and pencil as he jotted down notes.

Yawning, he sank back into the chair. His head drooped, his chin resting on his chest. He plunged straight into a nightmare where the saintly professor was again responsible for his demise. Victor woke, stifling a scream as sweat drenched his brow. He caught sight of the family portrait on the professor's desk. Everyone smiled in the photo, a memory from happier times.