Chapter 24

Kristy's stepmother rose from the sofa, anger radiating from her like a small furnace. "I should have given you to the oldest, ugliest, black-hearted genie I could find!" shouted Tarje, so enraged that spittle flew from her lips. "Dirty half-breed! Beautiful to see, soft to touch, but no different than your slutty fae mother. You entice men with the heart of a tart, so why shouldn't you be treated as such?"

Kristy's fingers balled into fists. "I've never lain with a man in my life." She stepped forward, her sapphire eyes brimmed with angry tears. "I'm not responsible for my father's cheating. It's not my fault my mother deserted me. So stop blaming me for things I had no control over!"

She turned away, breath heaving as if she'd run a marathon. Kristy knew there was no way to get through to the ice sculpture that was her stepmother.

Tarje resumed her seat. "A witch bound you. Then you ingratiate yourself to the One Magi, installing yourself as his advisor. You're the darling of the genie realm. I'm sure you did it just to make your stepsisters feel bad."

Disbelief crossed Kristy's features. She hadn't given the wretches a thought in years!

"Minister Roe spoke with Mistress Fawn about honoring you for your part in Arabella Pudeater's removal. Mistress Fawn declared you will be the first half-genie eligible for wifehood instead of a concubine as your kind usually are. Several statesmen have inquired about you as a lower wife or a first wife for their sons. When it's decided, you will return home. As your father's first wife, it's my right to make the arrangements."

Kristy shuddered in horror. The chains she'd once escaped came crashing down. She'd rather die than participate in a farce of a marriage and be bound to someone she didn't love! Kristy knew her fae abilities of enrapturing would never work on Tarje, who had such a keen hatred of her, worse than Maryann Harper ever did. The woman would never change her mind.

Tarje would win, and she would leave her new home—and Victor! Kristy forwent her dignity and threw herself at her stepmother's feet. It didn't matter that she demeaned herself. Her life was on the line! She bowed her head, hands clasped together at her breast.

"Stepmother, the One Magi is my responsibility. I can't leave him." Her body shook as she gazed up at her stepmother's stoic features. "Without guidance, he can be very dangerous. Please, for the sake of all that's good, don't do this."

"Such a handsome man," cooed Tarje. She pursed her lips in thought. "Set the groundwork for your stepsisters to gain his favor. One of them will become his new advisor. Both are beautiful and properly trained. Neither are betrothed, so we can push for an honorable marriage when he beds his choice. To have such power bound to our family will raise our standings in the realm." The woman stepped around the kneeling girl and strode on dainty feet to the center of the room. "You are not to speak of this. I will ensure that you do not, Krysania."

The geas she set on the half-fae, a spell prohibiting her from speaking or acting on or against it, was solid. Kristy could find no weak spots. There was no way to obtain Victor's help. She shuddered when Tarje delivered her parting shot.

"Instead of being a mattress to many, there'll only be one. It's more than you deserve." With a chuckle, Tarje vanished.

Kristy rose and stumbled into the hallway, grabbing the stuffed snake from the entryway table. She made it as far as the living room before sliding down to the carpeted floor.

She would never lead Victor to either of the vile women who were her stepsisters. They wouldn't consider his love of dance, kind nature, or dedication to family. They would see him as a commodity, a tool to achieve accolades and benefits.