Chapter 33

Victor waited until the soiled Cataran, and the two fathers moved to the forefront of the mob, then schooled his features to indignation. "How dare you," he shouted, eyes narrowing, "subject my genie to this load of tosh! I ought to smite the lot of you if I bloody knew how."

Cataran moved to snatch back his wayward bride, but Boona placed a cautionary hand on his son's shoulder. "He is the One Magi, my son. Tread carefully." The older man glanced at the confused Kardash. "Let Krysania's father handle it."

The crowd surged forward, circling the small group. Several spectators called out, 'One Magi,' with reverence in their voices. Instead of his usual awkwardness, Victor played up the role, nodding and waving as if he were a rock star on tour.

The fuming groom stepped back, allowing Kardash to move forward. Kristy's father gazed at Victor before bowing. "You have my sincere apologies, One Magi. I didn't know my daughter was bound—again." His eyes cut to Tarje, who stood with his sons and daughters. The woman lowered her head, accepting his silent reprimand.

"I ask that you release Krysania so she may wed her betrothed." Kardash raised an arm and motioned toward his family. "In return, I offer either of my daughters, Veta or Berla, to serve you unbound."

The eager sisters shoved their mother aside and headed to the forefront to stand next to Kardash. Both dark-haired beauties bowed before their father, then turned and bowed to Victor, their dark eyes meeting his with hope and longing.

And profit.

But Victor shook his head, ensuring his refusal was direct. "No." He felt the tension ease out of the girl at his side. "Kristy has stood with me through many trials. Even when forced to betray me, she risked herself to help me. In my world, she's my ride-or-die. Totally irreplaceable."

The crowd began murmuring as Kardash seemed bereft of words. Victor ignored them all as he gazed down at the anxious Kristy, the girl who traded her freedom for love. "Ready to go, my love?"

Kristy met his eyes with a relieved smile. "Yes, Master."

He hated the meekness in her once strong voice, but there was nothing he could do. Only time would help.

"I demand my bride! Death to the human!" shouted Cataran, so angry that spittle few from his lips. The enraged groom shoved Kardash and Boona aside as he brandished his sword, stalking toward Victor. The guards on the outskirts of the gathering rushed to assist the bellowing genie as the crowd transported themselves out of harm's way.

The professor had taught his children to respect the principles of other societies, calling it cultural responsivity. But here, hopelessness sat in the eyes of many women, forced to marry or become servants to ones not of their choosing. The same bleakness reflected on several men, shoved into careers and lifestyles that carried no interest for them. Both groups suffered from cultural factors—rules of behavior held in common by their nation.

Victor refused to allow Kristy to join their somber club.

For the first time, Victor wanted to be the One Magi—to make a difference—to have the will to inspire an inkling of change in those hopeless faces. To help them dare to be different. He acknowledged the desire as he and one small genie faced the approaching combatants.

"I am the One Magi. Perhaps repeating your mistake will help you blokes learn from them." The magic he'd once held in contempt obeyed his bidding. He froze them all before securing each in a time loop. The crowd screeched as Cataran, and his warriors charged the pair, then looped back in time to do it again... and again... and again.

Victor lost count of the iterations. Finally, Boona dropped to his knees before Victor. "Mercy, One Magi! Please!"

Feeling sorry for the older man, Victor yielded and ended the loop.