Chapter 28

Their second attempt at the routine was perfect, but Victor's heart wasn't in it. Still, it impressed Marta, who nodded her head in a genteel manner. A cheery Adam promised he would arrange a practice session between Victor and Danny as soon as possible, claiming their partnership would be the greatest rumba the ballroom world had ever seen.

Kristy seethed but said nothing. 

Marta vetoed any inkling Adam had of pairing Victor with Danny permanently, something Adam took with a good nature. Somehow, it made Victor feel worse than before.

"Congratulations, Victor. You and Kristy are officially partners." Marta patted his cheek. "You waited as I asked, and now you see it was worth it."

Adam chattered on about past routines he choreographed before throwing up his hands. "I'm feeling a tad poorly. I'm going home, having a bubble bath, and cuddling up with Jack."

Marta gave him a sly smile. "Jack? Someone new?"

"No, dearie. My bottle of Jack Daniels, the Tennessee whiskey. We've always had a very stimulating relationship."

Marta gave a well-breed titter of laughter before returning to the younger set.

Victor faked his interest in the exchange. However, he could tell Kristy knew otherwise, that he held his sanity together by a thread.

He'd almost killed a man.

"Victor, we'll need to plan─" began Marta. But Kristy cut off the conversation by grabbing Victor's arm as she stepped backward, giving the impression of urgency.

"I've got a study group meeting in less than an hour," she lied, smiling to excuse the interruption. "Sorry to cut things short."

Victor, his eyes hooded, gave her a grateful nod. "Marta, Adam, see you in a bit." Before either could reply, he snatched up the dance bags and headed for the door. Kristy hurried after him, not bothering to button her coat or secure her scarf in her haste to catch up with him.

His mind played back the harrowing scene in the ballroom. Adam's words, words he said in a fit of anger. Words were just elements of speech and writing. They were not, in his eyes, justification for murder. What kind of monster have I become? he thought.

They left the studio with Victor in the lead, Kristy almost breaking into a jog to keep up with his long strides. His face was one of torment. The same thought rolled around his head, biting, gnawing, and twisting. He began walking faster as if he could outrun the scene imprinted in his head before choking back a sob.

He'd almost killed a man.

The hood attached to his jacket pulled him backward, then sideways—his back shoved against the wall in one of the nooks set between the buildings. The impact caused him to drop the bags as he fought to catch his breath and stop the tears threatening to escape.

The cause of his waylay moved to him, her body blocking him in. Duffle-coated arms slid around his neck, and her fingers stroked his hair. Victor hesitated before wrapping his arms around her and burying his face in the curve of her shoulder. He began to shake as the tears flowed. Kristy molded her body to his as she provided much-needed support and comfort.

Pedestrian traffic on the pavement had increased, but most did not see the two entangled in the nook. Several children ran ahead of their parents, shouting and peering into every crack and crevice. They discovered the pair, pointing them out before searching out new prey. A few parents smiled, remembering their own love tryst from days gone by, while others mistook the moment for a disgusting public display of affection. "Get a room!" they shouted before grabbing their offspring and hustling away.