Chapter 17

Victor drove home from school, fuming. The day had ended with a stint in detention because he'd accidentally set a lab book on fire. He'd been quick about putting out the blaze when the flames appeared, but Principal Odmus had passed by the chemistry classroom at that exact moment and smelled the barbequed book. The bloke lectured Victor on his ineptness in front of the snickering class before sending him off to confinement.

"If I didn't know better, I'd swear Odmus is plotting my academic demise," he muttered.

Kristy hadn't been to school in two days, claiming illness. Victor hadn't pressed her, knowing the genie needed time to pull it together after revealing what she had about her home.

But how he missed her!

His mind wandered back to a discussion the day before with Dr. Mason. The good doctor had recalled a bizarre conversation with the professor about possessions and curses. Unfortunately, the professor hadn't clued the doctor in on the specifics. "Craig asked if only evil took over bodies or if there were other kinds of entities that could do the same. I answered to the best of my ability, then the conversation ended. But with this reoccurring DNA pattern you've discovered, it seems to fit along the same lines."

Dr. Mason, Lovedae, and Victor were in the den while the younger Grants gorged themselves on pizza and breadsticks in the kitchen. "I need confirmation—to talk to someone who observed him when he changed," said Victor. "Papa has so many journals and so many entries! There's too many for just me, and I haven't even tackled the ones from his ancestors." He'd rubbed his eyes as he lounged on the sofa beside his mother.

"I'm going to take a set of journals tonight and read so you can get some sleep. You're worn to the bone." Lovedae threw a comforting arm around him. "I wish your father had told someone his thought process."

"Tell who, my dear? Even with proof, for what purpose? Craig decided whatever misguided evil was reoccurring would end with him if he didn't have children." Dr. Mason had sighed. "But, alas, Craig was defeated by the love of a woman."

Victor frowned. Even if the professor tried to stop the cycle, it didn't explain who or what started the ongoing atrocity in the first place. Talking to Professor Craig's mother, Sarah Reynolds, would be ideal as she had lived with him until college. She must have observed the change. But the woman was in her nineties and in a London nursing home with dementia. Was there a way to reverse the mental disorder with magic, even for a few minutes? 

"You're frowning. What's wrong, Vickster?"

Victor glanced at his passenger's seat to see a little blond girl clothed in a blue sleep shirt, her bare feet propped against the window. "Gigi, go away if you're here to have fun at my expense."

The leader of the fae snorted. "You're not in the least fun, Bucco." She sat up, turning toward him. "Thought you'd be glad to see me since I saved your snookums."

Victor ignored the teasing. "You're right. I apologize." He had to admit Kristy would be back in the genie realm if not for Gigi.

"Good that you understand. Medi deserting Kristy as a baby wasn't her fault. Still, we kinda owe her."

Victor glanced at the child, surprised at the admission. "So, what do I owe the pleasure, love?"

Gigi twirled again, her back resting on the seat base with her little legs up against the backrest. "I dropped by to cool off after dealing with the idiots in the Tribunal." The fae peeked over at him. "The new speaker favors his own and the genies too much for my taste. Even Scary Arie didn't do that. They've met without me and made four decrees against our accords. Had to have 'em revoked on a technicality."