Chapter 11

The warning spoken by Kristy weeks ago logged itself in the forefront of Victor's thoughts. Untethered magic is dangerous, like a rabid dog that went berserk. With no barriers enacted, his magic flowed freely. It led, steered, and guided its vessel towards his desired goals in a way he never would have attempted. Cushioned by the magic's abounding power, he swam in a sea of ecstasy.

A cheerful Victor motioned to Nick and the Duo to start running. "Giddup!" he cried, then burst into laughter.

They took off running with Jason in the lead, his water gun held upward. Nick followed with Rosetta clinging to his back.

Untethered, dangerous.

The magic encircled Victor as he eyed the band of witches —who stood in a V formation—blocking the path.

"Know that their deaths are on your head, One Magi!" When Oliver shifted to stop the trio from entering the tunnel, he found himself unable to move. Oliver's eyes widened, and the vibrato fell from his voice. "What is happening?"

Silvan and Solan possessed some combat experience, unlike Oliver and his remaining underlings. They transported themselves closer to the genie as a means of protection from Victor before magicking up swords and shields. Victor heard Kristy's battle cry as she defended herself against Silvan and Solan. She positioned herself between the two, striking out with staff and power, her fae side lending strength beyond her fragile appearance.

Solan was the first to fall face-first onto the hard ground. Victor turned then, ready to face their remaining adversaries.

Oliver and his group fared no better than the downed Solan. Before the self-proclaimed leader could launch an attack, the gravitational forces around him and his band increased. With the gravity that strong, blood traveled downward in the witches' legs, pinning them to the ground. They screamed and struggled, fighting a two-fold battle as each fought to keep their bones from breaking and free themselves from the deadly forces.

Victor almost skipped toward the engaged magi, reveling in the power that coursed from a body no longer tired or distressed. The euphoria of his magic balancing life and death was exhilarating! He clapped his hands in delight as the air molecules flowed from high pressure to low, causing a change in velocity. The speeding wind picked up the embattled magi, tossing them into treetops and dragging them through the rough brush.

He giggled. Who knew how devious air molecules could be?

Oliver dropped from the cloudy area above the misty trees, his magic barely saving him from slamming onto the hardened ground. His coal-black eyes stared from a bruised face at the dreamy teen who stood nearby.

"This is... my reality. I am a god!" slurred Oliver. "This isn't possible! Your power cannot... outdo mine. Here... I am the One Magi!"

Victor tapped his cheek with a finger, wondering if he should tell Oliver he still had control—he'd just beaten the older man to the punch by releasing his magic with no barriers. He decided against it, not wanting to spoil the fun. Again, the magic sent Oliver and crew sweeping across the fog-ridden treetops.

"Victor!"

He turned, a bemused expression on his face as Kristy limped toward him, her clothing ripped and stained, and a bruise graced her right cheek. He studied her for a moment, but she seemed no worse from her playdate.

"Solan is dazed, and Silvan disappeared when I got the upper hand. Come on, let's go!"

A smiling Victor chuckled, then pointed upward at the witches whose robes billowed in the artificial winds, screams barely audible. "Ollie and company look like kites, don't they, Krissy?"