Chapter 29

Victor stood in the moonlit clearing, his eyes on the blushing leaves of the maple tree. He didn't want to spend another moment in the confines of the bedroom with Jason giving him the silent treatment. A frustrated Victor had got up and headed to the clearing after the tween had fallen asleep.

He studied the tree, noting a few of the tribute flowers had broken through the soil, their long hibernation over. "At least I've done right by your grave, Papa." Victor looked over the clearing, wondering why he always found it comforting. He remembered the determined little boy he'd been, anxious for acceptance and fearful of leaving the clearing to complete his mission. The clearing was... a part of his home?

The thought startled him. He called on the magic. "Show me," Victor ordered.

The magic delivered.

The clearing lightened, and a glowing figure cloaked from head to toe in white held a dark-haired baby napping in its arms. The infant began to fuss, so the figure rocked the baby back to sleep.

The image faded, replaced by a green-eyed toddler waddling across the clearing on stubby legs, falling on the sweet-smelling grass, laughing, and chattering nonsense. The cloaked figure was there, sitting on the sidelines. The prattling child ran over and was patted on his curling mop of hair. He threw chubby arms around the figure's neck, hugging with the intensity of a loved child before wandering off to play.

Again, the image faded, this time replaced by the child, older, waiting by the path. Again, the white-clothed figure sat off to the side, returning the child's exciting waves. A smaller red-headed boy toddled up the trail, and the older child faded, becoming a shadow of his former self. Lovedae and the professor strolled into the clearing, hand in hand, spreading a blanket on the grass. The redhead ran to the dark-haired child, and the boys embraced like long-lost brothers.

A tear slipped down Victor's cheek when a hand slipped into his. He grasped it tightly as he and Jason watched their younger selves play.

The two romped around the clearing, but only one piping voice was audible. They rolled together on the warm grass, but only one child flattened the vegetation. The two found sticks and made marks in the soil, but only one made impressions.

Later, the professor called, "Jason, time to go home."

Little Jason hugged his playmate before running to his parents. Victor waved to the departing family that knew nothing of his existence before sailing into the loving arms of the white-cloaked figure who raised him. And now he knew why a particular name had hovered in the background of his mind. The one who covered itself in the voluminous white cape was Carys. His teacher, his provider—his friend.

The scene disappeared, leaving the clearing bathed in moonlight.

"So, that's why I've always known you," said Jason.

"I spent plenty of time at the house observing Mum and Papa. Carys knew of the link between Papa and me. I grew to admire Papa then eventually love him." Victor wiped his eyes with the back of his free hand as the memories once lost no longer escaped him. "After you were born, my trips there increased. I'd especially come to play with you around nap time."

"So, Carys is the one in the white assassin's cape."

Victor smiled at Jason's description. "Carys raised me in the space between the realms, where the laws of science don't apply, and time flows differently. I frequently came to the clearing to play. This was my backyard." He remembered Little Vic saying the same thing. "I was happy with Carys. I would have missed them dreadfully when I was sent to live here. It's probably why my memories were blocked."