Fixing

"I do not usually engage in such physical acts with other Legends. But, perhaps I will make an exception this time."

--------------------

Eve frowned at the mess of metal, springs, and screws sprawled out in front of her on her kitchen table. Starting on this so early in the morning had been a bad idea. She rubbed her bleary eyes and reached for a sip of her coffee, the drink now cold. The last few test runs of her Ultimate had been disastrous - it hadn't worked at all. Eve had woken up this morning in a panic, filled with the sudden urge to tinker with it. All the fixes she had tried on it had only succeeded in amplifying the issues. She swallowed down her worry along with the room-temperature coffee; this would have to be fixed soon as her first match was quickly approaching.

She stared at her phone, remembering Bloodhound's offer of help. Did it make her seem weak to reach out for help so soon? Eve typed out a message to Bloodhound, writing, erasing, and rewriting it several times, her finger hovering indecisively over the send button.

' good morning! ' she sent before she could change her mind.

' Good morning, Eve .' The reply came back quickly.

' do you think you could help me with my ultimate today? I tried fixing it a little, but i made it worse :( '

' Of course. I will send you my coordinates .'

' when do you want to meet up? '

' Come when you are ready. Let me know when you are on the way. '

Eve grinned at the message on the screen. Having a veteran fighter helping her with her gear was invaluable, but she didn't have much she could do to thank them. As a small token of her appreciation, she decided to get them both coffee before she went over, and requested a ride to the city first.

As the ship approached the popular cafe, she realized she had no idea what Bloodhound would like or if they even drank coffee. She glanced from the menu to the impatient line quickly forming behind her and decided on a vanilla latte for Bloodhound and a caramel coffee for herself loaded with cream and sugar. It seemed like a safe enough choice - basic enough. Safe.

' Im heading over now, ' she texted once she had belted herself in the ship and entered the coordinates Bloodhound had provided.

Eve discovered that her destination was not by a house as she had expected, but by a dirt road on the edge of the forest. Bloodhound was waiting close by as she landed, standing near an even smaller path that led into the woods.

"Hi!" Eve called out, smiling. "I got you some coffee." She jogged forward, handing them the cup. Her fingers brushed against the worn leather of their glove as she passed the drink.

"That was very kind. Takk."

"I wasn't sure what you liked...I hope this is okay."

"I am sure it is fine." Bloodhound motioned for her to follow them down the path. They removed the respirator from their mouth with a small click and hiss as they pulled the device away from their face. It hung down by their chest, still connected to the tubing and compressor on their back. They sipped the coffee with Eve as they walked. Though the drink was far sweeter than they preferred, they drank it without complaint - it was still a nice gipt, a pleasant surprise.

"The ship doesn't go to your house?" Eve asked. She watched them drink from the corner of her eye. Eve glimpsed full, pink lips pressed against the rim of the cup. Only a small patch of their cheek was visible, and she noticed a dotting of faded scars carved into the fair skin.