Wanting

"I want you to remember the first time I claim you, so you will know who you belong to."

----------------

Eve's eyelids fluttered open. Her head felt heavy and her tongue stuck to the roof of her dry mouth. Rhythmic beeps punctuated the silence as she lay in a neatly made bed, crisp white sheets tucked in tightly around her. Her arm was hooked up to medical equipment and wires while a clear fluid infused into her from a bag hanging nearby. She swung her legs over the side of the bed, rustling the stiff gown she was wearing.

Lifting the gown, Eve ran her hands over her stomach but found it unmarred. There was no evidence of a single bullet wound across the smooth skin. Her hand flew to her neck in a panic, remembering the knife that had slipped into it - but there was no mark there either. Her room door opened with a faint click, allowing a robot with a red medical cross painted across its chest to enter.

"Hello," it said calmly with a pleasant mechanical voice. "Welcome back. How do you feel?"

"Hi, I feel okay. A little weird."

The robot scanned her, a little beam of light moving up and down her body. "Your cortisol levels are still elevated, but everything else is within normal limits. I am releasing you from our care. Please dress and exit when you are ready."

The robot left and Eve pulled her clothes slowly. She still felt lightheaded, but surprisingly refreshed otherwise.

Opening her door, she poked her head outside, heading towards the voices she heard down the hallway. Some of the Legends were lounging in the room, watching the ongoing games, and chatting. This room contained all the Legends who had been killed, a holding area until the conclusion of the match. She spotted Natalie and Pathfinder and waved to the pair as she strode over.

"Hi, friend!" Pathfinder exclaimed happily, the screen on his chest playing a smiling emoji as she approached.

"Hi," Eve replied. "You're not mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad?" The display showed a large question mark.

"I killed you."

Pathfinder patted her head, the robot's hand surprisingly gentle as it mussed up her hair. "Do not worry. It is just a game. Next time, I will kill you!"

Natalie's gaze rested on her, her eyebrows drawn together. "Are you alright, Eve? Alexander was especially cruel to you."

"Yeah. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was bad."

Natalie leaned forward, embracing her gently. " Ça va aller . It gets easier."

Eve's face pressed into the blonde hair, smelling lavender. "I hope so."

Searching for a spot to sit alone, Eve grabbed a bottle of water and a protein bar from the snack table. She plopped down in a plush armchair, snacking and watching the game. Other Legends trickled into the room as the match progressed and the ring got smaller and smaller. Loba, Bloodhound, Lifeline, Revenant, and Octane were the last five alive. There was tension in the room as the teams wound down - the last few ring closures always brought the most action-packed fights.

A loud crash sounded through the room as Caustic walked into the room from the medical wing, slamming the doors open and scowling. Eve stared at him, growing pale. He made eye contact with Eve and smirked, raising the hairs on her arms. She was sure now - Caustic had intentionally caused her to suffer, and he had enjoyed it.

Turning her attention back to the match, she watched Octane leap over her with his jump pad, shooting down at her with perfect aim, all while flipping and posing for the camera mid-air. Even the commentators were now silent as the remaining two teams regrouped, each waiting behind a metal crate for the other to make the first move. The cameras panned over both as the tiny ring continued to shrink.