First Match

"Good luck today, félagi fighter. Fight ríkir."

-----------------------

Eve woke up early after tossing and turning anxiously all night, unable to get comfortable. Even though she was not hungry, she forced herself to swallow as much of her bowl of oatmeal as she could. Once she had washed up, she braided her hair tightly and secured it with bobby pins to ensure it stayed in place during the battle. She pulled on black compression leggings with a purple and blue galaxy pattern swirling around the legs. After throwing a black half-zipped jacket on top, she completed the outfit by donning black gloves.

Eve equipped her gear, mentally running through a checklist of all the items she needed. She laced and re-laced her boots three times. Breathing in and out deeply, she looked at herself in the mirror. She was ready. Anything else she might need, she would have to loot on the battlefield. When her transport arrived, she stepped on and sat next to Bloodhound.

"Hi," she said, letting out a big breath as she sat. "Today's the day."

"Hello," Bloodhound replied. "Did you eat breakfast?"

"I did." She smiled, a little more at ease at their concern.

"Very good." They patted her knee with their gloved hand, letting it rest there.

"I've been looking forward to this for weeks, but I feel so nervous today," Eve admitted.

"It is normal to feel that way. You must face each fight with bravery - there is honor in the challenge, even if you are not victorious."

Eve placed her hand over the soft, worn leather of their glove. "I hope we get placed on the same team, even though you'd just be carrying me to victory."

"I think you will do well today," Bloodhound said. "But I would not mind paving the way for the vinna for you."

The duo arrived at the hangar that housed the dropship. An enormous screen hung from the ceiling in the bay, showing the pre-match show where commentators introduced the newcomers and speculated on who was projected to win the day's match. The other Legends were staring at the screen expectantly, waiting for the teams to be announced. Every fighter was given basic shield packs, two health syringes, two shield cells, and low-profile earpieces to communicate with their teammates. The screen flickered, switching to a screen with empty brackets.

"Good morning, Apex Legends! We will begin boarding the dropship. Please note the following teams for today's game." Eve swallowed hard, waiting.

"Mirage, Lifeline, and Pyro!" The trio high-fived and went into the ship as their names appeared on the screen.

"Loba, Caustic, and Bloodhound!" Eve frowned at the announcement, looking at Bloodhound to her left, unable to hide her disappointment.

"Good luck today, félagi fighter. Fight ríkir." They patted her shoulder as they passed her then entered the ship with their teammates.

"Fuse, Gunner, and Bangalore!"

"Wattson, Pathfinder, and Wraith!"

"Revenant, Eve, and Octane!"

Eve cursed silently as she stepped forward with the two. Revenant grumbled his displeasure loudly, pushing ahead of the other two brusquely to find a seat.

"I would be placed with this weakling," he complained, looking at Eve. He fixed his gaze on Octane. "Octavio, you're not my first choice either. Don't fuck this up for me, got it?"

"Ignore him," Octavio whispered to her. "He's pretty much a dick to everyone. You'll do okay, amiga. Just try to stick with me."

Eve nodded. "I'll do my best."