Training

"You are trembling. Do I make you nervous?"

--------------------

Eve blinked slowly as her phone chimed brightly beside her, cutting through the haze of sleep. She rubbed her eyes with balled fists and yawned. Groaning, she looked at the time on her phone. 6 AM. As she squinted at the screen, blindingly bright in this early hour, she regretted staying up late binge-watching reality TV. Her messaging app showed one new message, and she tapped on the notification.

'Good morning, Eve.' the text from Bloodhound read.

'good morning :) you're up early'

'Do you want to practice some close combat today? We can go to the practice range too.'

Eve grinned at her phone. 'sure! when?'

'Whenever you would like. I will be here.'

'i can come by in about an hour'

'That would be fine. I will wait by the path for you.'

Eve showered and pulled on dark red leggings and a soft black tank top, munching on an apple while she waited for the transport ship to arrive. She slung a backpack over her shoulder, packing lightly today, just her tactical gear in case it was needed, and a granola bar to snack on later.

As the transport brought her to Bloodhound's coordinates, Eve smoothed out her shirt, a spark of self-consciousness lighting up within her. She'd been way too casual with the hunter the last time they had met up - she needed to keep it professional. They were her colleague now, and she needed to remember that she wasn't at home with her friends. The ship landed with a small shake, and the hatch of the ship opened, revealing the treeline a short distance away.

Eve stepped out and noticed Bloodhound once again waiting by the same path as the day before, their posture tall and proud in their full gear.

They lifted their hand in greeting and called out to her. "Góðan daginn. I hope I did not wake you too early today. I realize that not all rise with the sun."

Eve smiled, waving back as she approached. "Nah, it's for the best. I shouldn't be lazy."

"How have you been adjusting to life in the forest?" Bloodhound asked, beginning the walk to the training area in the woods.

"The forest is beautiful! But, I'm feeling cooped up," she answered. "I just want to play my first match."

"When I first joined, I was eager as well. It...did not go well for me in the beginning. It is strange to be mortally wounded then awake unharmed. It is an unnatural thing."

"Is it painful?" She blinked. "I mean, it looks like it hurts, but you guys keep going back for more fights, so I was never sure if they had a way to take lessen the pain or not."

"It is quite uncomfortable, yes," they replied somberly, leaning down to pick up a branch that had fallen on the path and tossing it to the side. "You feel the sting of every bullet piercing your flesh and every slash of a blade slicing muscle." Bloodhound turned to her, seeing the way she was chewing her lip. "Most Legends will make your death as quick as possible to prevent suffering," they assured her.

"Would some legends purposely make my death more painful?" Eve picked at her cuticles as pangs of nausea gnawed at the edges of her belly.

"Not all fighters show mercy," Bloodhound's voice trailed off as if remembering. "Even though this is only a game, the slátra feels very real."