Hunting

"Naughty little prey. You should know by now that you cannot run from me."

------------

"We have been lazy these past few days," Bloodhound said as they swung their legs over the side of the bed and raised their arms above their head in a stretch.

Eve yawned, watching the muscles of their neck and black flex with the movement. "It's been nice though. Don't you think so?" She reached out and wrapped her arms around their middle, pressing her cheek against their back and tracing one of their scars lightly with her finger.

The pair had been inseparable for the last three days; by day spending much of their time in bed, and by night embarking on moonlit forest hikes, where Eve listened to stories of Bloodhound's past hunts and adventures.

Bloodhound reached back and squeezed her thigh affectionately. "It has been a gleði that I have not known in some time. But, I long for a hunt." They rose out of the covers and went to their closet to pick out their gear for the day.

"Wow," Eve commented, watching as they gathered their full set of equipment. "You're doing some serious hunting today, huh?"

They pressed their lips to her forehead as they passed by. "Oh, certainly," they replied, smiling as they ducked into the bathroom. "Very serious hunting."

Eve threw on one of Bloodhound's T-shirts for coverage and tidied the bed, enjoying the way that their scent wafted around her as she moved in it. While they showered, she prepared a small breakfast and some coffee for them both. She sat happily at the table, sipping from her cup as she caught up on the latest news on her phone. When Bloodhound joined her at the table, they held their headgear under their arm.

"So, really, what are you hoping to catch today?" she asked, filling a mug for them.

Bloodhound took several big sips of coffee, downing half the cup. "You." A thin red line began to appear on the outer rim of their irises.

Eve laughed nervously. "Well, you already have me here."

Their expression hardened, turning stern and cold. "Stand."

The smile faded from Eve's face, but she did as they instructed.

"I will allow you a ten-minute head start. You may go anywhere in the skógur ." They put on their goggles, mask, and respirator, then moved behind her. Grabbing her hips with their gloved hands, they ran them up and down her body while speaking low into her ear. "Your time begins now. Go." They released her with a nudge.

"Wait!" Eve exclaimed, whirling around to face them. "I don't have any shoes on, this doesn't seem fair - and what if someone sees me?"

Bloodhound stood silently, arms crossed in front of their chest.

"I haven't even brushed my teeth yet. And what if you don't find me? What's my reward for evading you?"

"Nine minutes and forty-five seconds," they stated, sounding bored. "You are wasting time. I suggest you go now, elskan , if you hope to challenge me even a little."

Eve sighed and ran out the front door. Truthfully, she did not mind the idea of being caught, but she still wanted to try to win this game. She took off down one of the small hunting paths off the main dirt road. It was barely noticeable, merely a faint worn line in the forest floor. Her bare feet padded softly on the dirt as she jogged, Bloodhound's T-shirt hanging loosely on her small frame. Luckily it was not too cold of a morning. Slowing her pace, Eve looked around, unable to tell where the path went next. Each way she turned, the thicket of brush and tree trunks seemed the same.