Sorry

"What is all this, hm? So wet for daddy already?"

-------------------------

Eve stretched leisurely, readjusting her position on the soft cushions by the fire. She pointed her toes, the muscles in her legs pulling and releasing as she breathed in the scent of the burning cedar logs. It had been colder outside than Eve anticipated on their evening walk, so she relished the gentle heat that brought warmth back to her chilly feet.

Any time she had off between Games was a welcome reprieve, a chance to recharge - and spend more time with Bloodhound. As she'd gotten to know them better, she was happy to share in the quiet time they often preferred as a result of their years spent alone, content to enjoy their company in companionable silence. It was a relief that she didn't have the added anxiety and pressure of coming up with things to say, small talk just for the sake of making conversation.

This evening, they sat near her, writing in a black leatherbound book. She watched them tuck a strand of their red hair behind their ear and stick their tongue out in focus. It was one of those habits that they probably weren't even aware of - but Eve mentally catalogued it among her favorite little things they did.

The gently crackling fire cast a cozy glow over the pair and Eve settled back into the furs to resume reading. Out of the corner of her vision, she noticed that Bloodhound kept glancing her way, a small flick of their eyes, a surreptitious quick movement.

"What?" She smiled and stuck her bookmark in between the pages and set her book to the side.

They raised their eyebrows, feigning innocence. "Hm?"

"You keep looking at me."

"Ah, my apologies. I will be sure to avert my gaze unless you address me directly," they replied dryly.

Eve reached out with her foot, tapping their shin playfully. "Good, you are forgiven. Do not let it happen again," she giggled, imitating their accent, "unless you want to be punished."

They grinned and put their book down. They moved towards her slowly, deliberately, like a cat stalking its prey. "Is that meant to sound like me?"

"Yes," she continued through her laughter. "Join me, félagi fighter."

They pounced on her lightly, their eyebrows drawn together in play-anger. The corners of their lips kept twitching up into a smile, ruining their attempt to look fierce.

Eve could not contain her mirth, her body shaking with amusement. "Together, we will slátra!" She squawked in surprise as they gripped her sides. "No! Don't!"

"What do I sound like, again?" they asked, now sinking their teeth gently into her sensitive tummy. "Nothing to say now?"

She writhed under the onslaught, her limbs flailing against Bloodhound's solid body above her. "Okay, okay!" she wheezed, tapping their shoulder.

They relented and sat back on their cushion, watching her catch her breath.

"It sounds better coming from you," she said, crawling towards them. "I don't do your voice justice."

"Mm, it was a fair attempt."

She lay her head on their lap and looked up at them with gentle blue eyes. Her chest rose and fell evenly as her breathing steadied. They reached for Eve's face, tucking back a few tufts of hair that had come loose out of her braid. From this spot, she caught a glimpse of their open book and her eyes widened in surprise - it was a sketchbook. Bloodhound had drawn her as she was lounging by the fire. The pencil drawing was shockingly realistic, capturing her features in gray as she was immersed in the story she had been reading.