Reminder

"What you need is to be reminded of who you belong to."

----------------------------

The jarring noise of Eve's alarm pierced the peace of the quiet morning. She groaned as she fumbled for the snooze button on her phone. Snuggling in her little pocket of warmth beneath the furs on Bloodhound's bed, she hoped to delay her waking for another blessed fifteen minutes of sleep. When she turned over, she saw them moving about the bedroom, watering and tending to the potted plants. They frowned as they examined a leaf that had begun to brown and stuck their finger in the soil to test the moisture.

"Good morning," Eve said, forgoing the snooze as she sat up. "How long have you been up?"

"Long enough," they replied distractedly, not taking their eyes off the plant. They plucked the withered leaf and poured water into the pot, carefully making sure they did not overfill it.

She smiled as she watched them flit about to each one to give it its weekly allotment of attention. Every plant had a particular amount of water and sunlight it needed and Bloodhound made their rounds on them like a ritual. They were a creature of habit, so she did not disturb them as she went to get ready for the day.

Today was supposed to be a day off, but two new weapons were being introduced to the Games, and, per contract, the Legends were all required to attend the in-service about them. Eve washed up and threw a soft black hoodie over her grey leggings. The need for sleep still burned in her eyes, but she smiled at the travel mug that already sat on the table, keeping her coffee warm for her. She plopped down at the kitchen table and sipped, tasting sweet caramel cream - her favorite. The drink helped wake her slowly as she scrolled through the latest updates on her phone.

Firm hands gripped her shoulders and Eve tilted her head back to look at Bloodhound. They leaned down to press a kiss to her forehead, their auburn hair loose and tickling her face as it fell around her.

"How are the babies looking today?" she asked, grinning.

They raised an inquisitive eyebrow at her. "Babies?"

"Your plants," Eve explained.

They snorted in laughter at the absurdity of equating plants to children. "They are doing well, though I must have underwatered the monstera last week - it looked dry today."

"Poor little guy," she said, taking another sip. "Thanks for making me coffee."

"Mm. If you awoke a little earlier, we could enjoy it together," they smoothed her bangs down, their mossy green eyes settling on blue. "It would be nice to enjoy the first light of dawn with you."

"Or," Eve started, a mischievous grin spreading across her face, "you could sleep in with me for once. You might like it." Since meeting them, she couldn't think of one morning when they were not up at an ungodly hour, regardless of how late they stayed up with her.

They gave a grunt in response - she knew that basically meant no. Bloodhound patted her shoulder before going to don their headgear while the pair waited for their ride to approach. As they trekked down the path, Eve zoomed in on her phone screen, skimming the notes that had been provided about the two newest weapons. She was still reading as they entered the ship and buckled in next to Bloodhound.

"A new energy weapon and another bow - should be interesting," she said. "Never really got the hang of the Bocek, though." She lifted her hand to her mouth to chew on her nail, but Bloodhound grasped her hand lightly and placed it on her leg.

"Perhaps if you used it more often and did not actively avoid the weapon every match, you would improve your skills." They patted her hand and let theirs slide up her thigh, gliding closer to her mound. "We could go to the firing range, if you wish." Their tone lowered, the underlying suggestion coming through despite the respirator distorting their voice. "Perhaps another lesson?"