Chapter Eleven: What Did You Say?

"Would you maybe wanna get married?"
   I freeze. Marriage? I don't know what to say. She's my everything, the utter love of my life, but I'm scared.
   "Mommy? What's wrong?"
   "Nothing baby, Mommy's just a bit taken back is all. Are you sure?" Shit. Not the right thing to say there.
   "Of course I am," her face turns down, a slight lilt sounds in her voice. "Mommy, all I ever want is you. I wanna be your girl, forever."
   "I know honey, and you are. I'm just not sure if it's a good idea."
   "A good idea? You mean you think I'm not thinking this through?"
   "No I-"
   "Do you think I'm not ready for us to get married? Do you think I'm some kind of kid? You're only 8 years older than me, Luna. I wanna be your girl."
   She begins to tear up, storming off before I can even say anything.
-------------------------------------------------------------
   The doorbell rings viciously. 11:45? Seriously? Who could possibly be ringing the doorbell that frantically at 11:45 at night? I make my way off the couch, careful not to wake Grace up just yet. My feet pat gently against the cold tile floor. Whoever this is better need something desperately.
   When I open the door, Charlie is standing there, tears strewn across her blushed face. She's sniffling and groaning. Whatever just happened is bad.
   "Charlie?"
   "Hi, David. Can I come in?" she wipes her nose against the sleeve of her hoodie and looks up at me.
   I put my hand between her shoulder blades and guide her gently into the living room.
   "What happened?" Grace asks, stirring from her curled position on the end of the couch.
   "I'm fine, Gracie, really." Charlie responds, wiping her eyes again with her fingers.
-------------------------------------------------------------
"Charlie? Where are you princess?" I'm getting worried. She has to be here somewhere.
I check every room in the house, no Charlie. Then, my phone starts buzzing. It's David.
   "Hey Luna, is everything alright? Charlie just showed up. She doesn't look good."
   "Yeah, I fucked up. I just need to talk to her. Is she hurt?"
   "No, just a bit shaken and puffy from crying, but she's with Grace right now."
   "Good. I'm on my way."
-------------------------------------------------------------
   I hate seeing Charlie upset. I wish I could do more to help, but I don't feel like anything i do is enough for her right now.
   "Thank you, Gracie." She murmurs, leaning against me while we flip through Netflix for a distraction.
   "For what?" I reply, rubbing her arm gently.
   "For supporting me. You and David have been amazing since the day I met you guys."
-------------------------------------------------------------
   There's a knock on the front door. I know immediately who it is.
   "Charlotte!" Luna hurries toward me, pulling me up into her arms.
   She never calls me Charlotte.
   "Hey." I mumble timidly in response.
  "I'm so sorry, princess. I've been really inconsiderate. I'm just so afraid that I'll mess it up. I have you, and we're perfect. I'm so scared of losing you, angel, please understand."
   "I can understand, but I don't have to like it."
   "Do you really want to get married?"
  "Yes. More than absolutely anything else in the world right now."
  "Okay."
   Everyone is shocked. Okay? We're getting married?
   "What?"
   "Okay. Let's do it."