Chapter Four: Getting Adjusted

I groan as my eyes adjust to the dark. 
  "Daddy?" I whimper.
      I feel the car pull over quickly.
    "Baby? What's wrong? Daddy is here, see?" He picks me up, cuddling me, grabbing my paci that fell into the cup holders between the seats.
    "Daddy where are we?" I ask, confused, scared, and fully little.
  "We're going home, babygirl. Okay?" He replies, twirling my braids in his fingers.
  "Daddy?" I whimper again. I really don't know what I want, but I start crying hard.
    "Oh, is my little still sleepy?" Daddy asks.
  I nod my head weakly.
  "Let Daddy put you to sleep, princess." He says, rocking me on his lap.
    "I have a dream, I hope will come true," he begins to softly, and slowly, sing.
    "That you're here with me, and I'm here with you." His voice so deep and smooth as he rocks me and sings quietly in my ear.
   "I wish that the earth, sea, and the sky up above, wo-." He continues to sing, but my eyes are closed and I'm fast asleep.
-------------------------------------------------------------
  I wake up in what I can only describe as a princess room. I can't remember where I am, but it's not my bedroom. I'm tired and confused. I roll out of the bed; an elegantly styled double with a tulle canopy.
  The room is decorated in sea themed items, and a sea green scale print is painted across one wall. I look down and notice that I'm no longer in my clothes. My onesie is the only thing remaining. I look at the clock on my dresser. 3:30am.
    "Where the hell am I?" I ask myself as I put on the big pink sweater laying on the dresser.
  I walk out into the hall. The house is big.
    "Hello?" I say into the hallway.
  I walk into a room with huge French doors. That's when I remember where I am.
    "Daddy?" I whisper, shaking his broad shoulder.
  "Mmm?" He replies sleepily.
  "Daddy you left me alone, and I was scared." I whisper to him, starting to cry.
    He sits straight up and turns to me, a completely worried look on his face.
"No, no, hey, princess, come here. Stop your crying, angel. Okay? Daddy is here."
    I crawl into his bed and attach myself to him.
  "Please don't leave me alone again, Daddy." I whimper as I push myself closer to him.
  He plays with my hair while he rubs my back and kisses me softly.
-------------------------------------------------------------
  I wake up in a huge, pink sweater, and my onesie. My hair is all in my face, and the bed I'm in is empty.
  "He left me again?" I ask myself as I walk to the bathroom and grab a brush off of the sink counter. I run the brush through the kinks in my hair—damn it for being so curly—until it's somewhat manageable.
  I change out of my onesie and into a pair of jean shorts and a cross neck tank top. I begin to walk downstairs to the kitchen, when I feel someone grab hold of my arm.
  "Gracie, princess, what are you wearing?" I hear him ask me, his gentle grip on my wrist feels kind and guiding.
  "Uhm, clothes, David." I respond sarcastically.
  "Now, little one, what did you say?" He asks, spinning me around to face him.
    "We need to set your rules in stone, 'cause someone is being a bit bratty this morning."
  The tone of his voice is gentle, but I know he's not happy that I've called him David, or that I'm not wearing the outfit he picked for me today.
"Now kitten, we're going to come into the playroom, yeah? And we're gonna write out some rules." He declares, guiding me down the stairs and into the playroom.
I'm taken completely by surprise.
Screaming, and immediately jumping into his arms, I kiss him deeply.
"Princess, if you scream like that again I'll give you something to scream about." Daddy scolds sternly.
  "Sorry, Daddy." I whisper lowering my gaze to my little socked feet.
  "Pick your head up, angel. Come sit over here and write your rules neatly on these pieces of paper while I start on making breakfast." Daddy commands, pointing his finger at the tea table's chair.
  I hurry over to the table and begin to very neatly copy the rules I've been given.
-------------------------------------------------------------
  Once I've finished my chocolate chip strawberry pancakes I hear a knock at the door.
    "Daddy! The door is making noise!" I yell in the direction of his office.
  "Well could you please open it, baby doll? Daddy's very busy."
  "But Dada! Scared!" I whine back at him.
  "Fine. Since my spoiled brat always gets what she wants; I'll come with you princess." Daddy replies, chuckling at me.
-------------------------------------------------------------
    "CHARLIE!" I yell, running out into the front yard to give her a huge hug.
  We giggle and we squeal as we roll around on the grass together.
  "One seconds," I begin. "I gotta change my owfit."
"Otay but hurryyyy Gracie! Mommy sayed I can't play all day." Charlie replies, rolling her eyes at the word "all".
  I race up the steps and change into the outfit Daddy picked out this morning. It's a pink pleated skirt, and white crop top that stops just above my belly button. I hike the skirt up a bit higher so it covers my belly button, pull on some white socks, add a pair of my slip ons, and push the socks down so they bunch around the shoe. I run down to the kitchen—holding onto the railing because Daddy says so—and look for Charlie.
  I find her in the playroom with my Barbies in the dollhouse.
  "Nono!" I shout, placing Skipper back in her seat in the little plastic kitchen.
  "W-why not Gracie?" Charlie whimpers.
  "I sorry Charlie. Is tea party, an I dun wan dem to be disturbed." I hug her tight, then grab her hand and lead her to the real tea table for a REAL tea party.
-------------------------------------------------------------
  "Come on, angel! Time to go. Mommy still has to give you a bath and brush your hair, babes." Luna announces, picking Charlie up from her seat and placing her on her hip.
  "Nooooooo!" I whine.
  "I dun wan her go!" I scream, stomping my feet on the pink and purple, puzzle piece shaped, rubber floor mat.
  "Gracelynn Violet Davis! That's quite enough from you, young lady." Daddy scolds, grabbing my arm.
  I scream and smack him with my free hand. He lets go of me and I run off. When I'm told to come back out Luna and Charlie are gone.
  "Grace," Daddy starts sternly.
  "Y-yes Daddy..?" I reply, whimpering.
  "You've been a very, very bad girl tonight." He growls, lowly, quietly.
  "I sorry?" I whimper back desperately.
  "Corner. Now." He orders, pointing to the corner chair, facing the wall.
  "Yes Daddy." I exclaim, walking miserably to the chair.
"For how long?" I whine.
"Until you learn that you are never to hit Daddy." He growls.