Chapter Seven: The Skeletons Emerge

The elevator ride really allows confusion to set in. There's something off about this guy. Who demands a one-on-one?
   The lobby stinks of arrogant bastard. Jen seems thoroughly uncomfortable. The man leaning against the reception desk is grungy. His thin frame is covered in black and denim. He must be six feet tall, no taller. He's skinny. Hell, he's the epitome of a Hot Topic ad. Grade A scumbag by the looks of him.
   Every breath he takes is stale, the air around him filled with the overwhelming scent of menthol cigarettes. He's a wannabe Alex Turner: the crackhead version. His greasy brown hair is overgrown, and his hands are dirtied from a motorbike or car repair.
   Ignoring him, I turn to Olivia. "Someone here to see me?" I ask.
   This guy turns to me, his shit-eating grin reaching ear-to-ear, yellow teeth on full display.
   "Mr. Alden." He says enthusiastically
   He outstretches his grease covered hand to me.
   "Let's get on with this meeting, man."
   Hesitantly, I comply, shaking his hand briefly.
   "My office is this way." I state blankly, walking back toward the elevator.
   The ride up is mostly silent, minus whatever dumb shit he manages to blurt at me. He keeps his hand down the front of his jeans, with his thumb hooked over the waistband. He chews his gum loudly as he slouches against the wall.
   "What's your name? I don't believe you've introduced yourself thus far."
   Without looking he responds. "Logan." he pops a bubble loudly, piercing the silent air of the elevator.
   The door opens abruptly, revealing the well-lit hallway leading to my office.
   "This way." I gesture flatly toward the very end of the hallway, exiting the elevator quickly.
   He strides imperiously, as if the building is his own. Approaching the door, he stops abruptly.
   Turning to face me he says, "So, Dave. What's your personal life like?" His grin is sly, his words hang in the air like his cigarette smoke.
   "I suppose that's an oddly phrased question, but look." I respond expressionlessly once more, as I guide him into my office finally.
   Grace sits in my office chair, coloring with her markers, having recovered from our previous events. She looks so focused and calm, but I notice her body seemingly tense at the sound of Logan's boots against the hardwood floor. I have the instant urge to sit her against me, to protect her from him. She looks up, expecting me, and her face goes white. She begins to cry and sputter hysterically, no hope of catching her breathe. I sit her immediately into my lap, holding her close against my while she hyperventilates.
   "What's wrong?" I ask her repeatedly, worriedly.
   I don't know what to do, or what caused it.
   "No no no no no no." she mutters through her crying.
   I'm confused, but I know I need to keep her close.
   "I'm not sure exactly the cause of this, but let's please make this meeting quick, Mr-" I trail off.
   "Noble." He blurts, completing my thought.
   As much as I want to, I can't deny him residency based solely on the response of my little, or his arrogance. He slouches in his chair, one are over the back of it. He seems overly confident.
   I toss a stack of papers onto my desk in front of him.
   "Sign these on the dotted lines please, Mr. Noble." I instruct as I've done countless times.
   He takes the stack gingerly, with a nervous look on his face, the flamboyance draining from his eyes. Did he assume I would simply hand him keys to a brand new house?
   At the door, he taps Gracie's nose gently.
   "Goodbye, little one." He says sharply, before exiting my office.
   I slam the door behind him and redirect my attention to her. I hurt seeing her this painfully upset. I cup her chin in my hand, directing her face to mine, wiping her delicate tears with my thumb.
   "Please, angel, tell me what's wrong."
   What she tells me fills me with the purest rage I've ever felt.