Chapter Ten: A Day With Gays

"Come on Charlie! You're the one who begged to go this year, remember?"
Mommy is always so louuuuuud. I'm trying to put on my shoes.
"Wow." She says.
"That's a lot of rainbow, sweetheart."
"What do you think the rest of the parade is gonna look like, silly? I like it." I frown.
"At least you decided on the thigh highs. Gives me something extra special to look at today."
-------------------------------------------------------------
I hold Charlie's hand. Her wristbands chafing against my own wrist.
"Are you ready, baby?" I ask her excitedly.
   She nods her head vigorously, skipping softly as we walk. She's so fragile, like porcelain. My little doll.
   "Come on Mommy! We're gonna be late!" she shouts, pulling me along behind her toward a large group of people.
-------------------------------------------------------------
   That night, sitting under the rainbow blanket we had managed to find amongst the chaos, I can feel Charlie's soft eyes looking toward me.
   "Yes, kitten?" I ask without turning to face her.
    "Nothing," she hesitates. There's a long pause.
   "Mommy?" she finally says.
   "What is it?" I respond.
   "Would you-"
   I turn to face her this time, raising my eyebrows, waiting for her to just say it already.
   "Would you maybe wanna get married sometime soon?"