Chapter Fourteen

"I don't know what you mean" Stefania smirked.

Danielle made the 10 minute walk to Carter's and could see Andrew standing outside waiting for her holding a beautiful bunch of flowers. He was very smart in a pair of jeans, a black shirt and his signature black boots. His dark hair was slicked back with the tiniest of curls falling on to his forehead. He smiled when he saw the blonde beauty approaching him. He walked towards her scooping her into a bone crushing hug. Neither of them needing to say anything. The hug said everything they wanted to. Andrew pulled away but never dropped his gaze from Danielle's eyes. He had missed those deep pools of blue so much. "Oh these are for you" he smiled handing the roses to her. "Thank you Andrew - they're beautiful but you didn't have to do that" Danielle said, taking them from him. "I know I didn't HAVE to but I WANTED to. Besides, I seem to remember you telling me that I was the only person allowed to buy you roses as it's too cheesy for a date to do" he laughed. Danielle burst out laughing "You're an idiot but that is true, I did say that".

"Let's head inside" Andrew said, taking hold of Danielle's hand. They made their way in to the restaurant where the waiter showed them to their table. Neither of them could stop the smiles on their faces. They hadn't seen each other in so long but their friendship was just as strong as ever. They sat in a comfortable silence whilst they studied the menu. Danielle decided to order the Surf 'N' Turf burger with sweet potato fries and a side of battered onion rings. Andrew opted for the Lamb Linguine with a side of garlic focaccia. They decided on drinking wine with their meals.  Not long after ordering, their food arrived at their table. 

"So, how have you been?" Danielle asked as she tucked in to her burger. "I've been good D, I've been really good. Well I told you about my parents but since your folks took me under their wings, I've had the life I always wanted." Andrew lifted a bit of food to his mouth as he spoke. Just then Danielle noticed the polished black band around Andrew's ring finger. She grabbed his hand. "Andrew what is that?!" She exclaimed pointing to the ring. "Oh, yeah, I... eh... I'm married D" Andrew grinned. Danielle matched his grin, proudly jumping up to hug him enthusiastically. "I'm so happy for you Andrew. Maybe I'll get to meet her before I leave again on Sunday?" she asked. "I'm glad you said that. She's actually meeting me after we're done eating. We're going out drinking. I'd love for you to come too and spend time with us?" He asked optimistically. "YES! Oh my God, Andrew, yes I'd love to" Danielle squealed, startling other diners in the process. The two friends bursting into laughter. 

"So tell me everything. What's her name? How did you guys meet? Wait, do you have kids that I don't know about too?" Danielle asked wide eyed. Andrew laughed at the look on her face. "No kids... yet. But I'm working on it" He winked. He continued "Her name is Giovanna, Gee for short though. She's 29 so just a couple of years younger than us. We've been together 4 years but married for just over a year. I met her in Italy actually. When we all went over there to scatter Giuseppe's ashes back home in La Spezia, she was working in one of the local bars. I was out drinking one night with Luca, Stefano, Damiano and their friends. Gee and I got talking and we really hit it off. We went on dates for the next 4 nights and I was instantly smitten with her. I came home to Seattle but we talked every day for 6 months. Then she came for a holiday and she never left. Well she did, as we got married back in La Spezia" He laughed. "She's the best thing to have ever happened to me D, I can't wait for you to meet her later." He continued. Danielle couldn't help but just stare in awe at her very grown up best friend. Although she felt her eyes get misty with emotion. She wiped away a tear as she said "I wish I could have been there for your wedding" "Hey, please dry those beautiful eyes. You're here now, that's all that matters" He squeezed her hand. 

They paid for their food and made their way back outside. Andrew gave Gee a phone and arranged to meet her at a bar that was a 15 minute walk from where they currently were. They walked happily with Danielle holding Andrew's arm. "So what's the story with the bar and that Cooper guy then?" Danielle asked. "Ah well," Andrew replied. "That kind of ties in with Gee too in a way. When we were back in Italy with the ashes, Gino decided that he wanted to stay and not come back here with us so he signed the bar over to me. So I am now the sole owner. It's not tied in with the DeLuca empire at all. But, Gee isn't happy here anymore. Her Nonna died about 6 months ago and it made her realise that she's so far away from her family and she's sad about that. She asked me if we could go back and run her family bar together. I hate seeing her so down so I agreed. She's my family now and I'd do anything to make her happy. I spoke to Matteo and Paula but they didn't think adding the bar to the business portfolio would be that important. So I put feelers out to say that I would potentially sell to the right buyer. I got a call from Cooper one day and he made me an offer I'd be stupid to turn down." At this point Danielle could feel a sadness forming in the pit of her stomach. "It was just a stupid old bar, why should it make her feel sad?" she thought to herself. Andrew continued talking "Although the deal doesn't officially close for another 10 days yet. Cooper is just really keen to make sure all the branding is in place for the official hand over day. The jerk even had the audacity to do a press release and splash it all over his Instagram that he's opening a new bar. Thankfully he kept the details of which bar secret." "Oh, do I detect that you don't like him much DeLucs?" Danielle asked.

 "DeLucs? What is that?" Andrew asked with raised eyebrows. "Just a nickname I'm trying out" Danielle grinned cheekily up at him. "You're an idiot, you know that right?" Andrew asked laughing before continuing "No I don't like him. I don't know anyone who actually does. He's arrogant and thinks he was sent to Earth as a gift from God!" "Well my boss certainly doesn't like him." Danielle said. "Oh right, yeah let's talk about you now" Andrew winked. "Who is your boss? What are you doing these days? I thought you were a pilot last I heard from your mom?" "I am a pilot but I'm employed by one person. I'm her private pilot. But whilst we're here I'm doubling up as her driver as the regular dude is on paternity leave." "Ah I see" Andrew nodded for her to continue. "Well last night, she appeared at the restaurant where myself and the rest of the team were eating and she was really shook up. She'd had a run in with Cooper and her head was bleeding as she'd fallen on the pavement." Andrew looked at her with wide eyes. "Woah, that's heavy. Who's your boss?"

"Stefania Spampinato" Danielle replied nonchalantly. "Danielle! Are you serious right now?!" Andrew gasped and had stopped walking. The blonde looked at him with confusion written all over her face. "You work for Stefania Spampinato?! Of course she doesn't like him! How can you work for her and not know this?" He rubbed his forehead trying to make sense of the situation. Meanwhile Danielle still had a look of confusion on her face. "Oh D. She's his ex fiancé! They were a week away from the wedding when the story goes that she caught him having sex with her best friend at her bachelorette party. Rumour has it that she sacked the majority of her staff that night except for like 6 people that were like family to her. The rest had all been covering up the affair for 2 years and hiding things from her that would land Cooper in the shit! She apparently hasn't hired anyone new in like 4 years since this all happened. She doesn't trust people. Wait, how long have you been working for her?"

Danielle couldn't believe everything that Andrew had just said. She stood there in complete shock trying to process the information. But suddenly it all started to make sense. The reaction to not knowing Danielle had replaced Bruno. The panic attacks. The state she was in after seeing Cooper. 

"Woah" Danielle let out a breath she didn't realise she'd been holding. "I've only known her 24 hours. Yesterday was my first day on the job and I was hired without her knowing as a replacement for the previous pilot. I went to flight school with him and he recommended me. I genuinely didn't know any of this. I'm sure I'll get to know her better in time though." "Oh yeah, I'm sure you will." Andrew smirked. "I'm sure it won't be long until she falls for the old DeLu... Sorry, Savre, charm" "Who says she hasn't already?" The blonde winked.

They both laughed and continued their walk to the bar where they'd meet Giovanna just happy to be in each other's company.