Chapter Sixty

She knew tomorrow was going to be tough. But they'd get through it. Together.

The next morning Stefania woke up to find herself alone in bed. She got up and checked the bathroom and front room but Danielle was nowhere to be seen. She went back to the bedroom in search of her mobile to find out where the blonde was. Just then she noticed a hand written note on her bedside table...

Stefania - my love,

I can never apologise enough for what happened last night. I don't know what came over me. Or well actually, maybe I do know. I was jealous and I know that's stupid because I was fully aware of the game we were playing. I didn't know it would have that impact on me though. I guess it flagged up some old issues that I've had buried for so long. You deserve so much better than the version of me that you got and I'm absolutely devastated that I hurt you. I will never stop regretting it and trying to make it up to you. I want us to have a long and happy life together but for that to happen, I need to get help. So, I called my therapist in London and she can see me today. I've been able to hop a flight back down and I've sent Cat a text to let her know (so she can make sure you're alright).
I love you Stefania, so so much and I want to make this right. By the time you guys have got the train back home to my flat, I'll be home and I'll have whatever dinner you want cooked and we can have the whole night together. We'll talk then, I promise but I have to get a head start on figuring out what's going on with me.

Tutto il mio amore,
Danielle xxx

Stefania couldn't believe what she was reading. Her heart was so full. Full of love, full of sadness, full of confusion. She tried calling Danielle but just got through to her voicemail so she sent her a text instead.

SS: Bambina, I got your note. I love you, more than you can imagine. I will see you tonight mio amore ❤️ x

She went for a shower and packed up her stuff before calling Caterina and arranging to meet her and Kevin down in the hotel lobby. She made her way downstairs, meeting her friends where the 3 of them decided they would grab breakfast in the hotel restaurant before going for their train.

Breakfast was a quiet affair with Stefania not really wanting to talk about last night. Caterina didn't know how to comfort her best friend so she just held her hand and smiled before saying "she's done the right thing. It says a lot when she's willing to jump straight in to trying to get a handle on her issues." "I know, I know. I just wish she had talked to me, or had even taken me with her instead of running away from me - AGAIN!" Stefania cried. "Hey, Stef... she hasn't run away from you. It sounds to me like she's doing everything in her power to make sure she keeps running towards you" Kevin said as he moved seats to give his boss a hug. "Si, si I know. You're right. Now come on, let's finish breakfast so I can get the train home to my girl" Stefania smiled through her tears. "Actually I have an idea. Is there a Build-A-Bear here?" She asked Kevin. "There is aye, it's down in Ocean Terminal. We've got time if you want to go there before the train?" "Si, I do"

2.5 hours later, the train was beginning to pull out of Waverley Station ready to make the long journey back to King's Cross. Just then Stefania's phone pinged with a message.

DS: Hey baby. I figure by now you'll be on the train. I can't wait to see you. I've missed you today. Let me know what you want for dinner and I'll make it happen for you, my Angel 😘 xxx
SS: I am on the train my love. I don't mind what we have for dinner. I'd be happy with beans on toast, just as long as I'm with you. We still need to talk you know but I don't ever want to spend a day without you again xxx
DS: We will talk - I promise. I'll make sure Andrew and Gee are out for the night so we can have the flat to ourselves. I'll see you when you get here. I love you xxx