The Game: Part 8

We break. I gulp down fear and try to hold down my returning lunch. I take a glance at Coach an he gives me a reassuring nod, before glancing back at his clipboard. My heart was pounding, my head was spinning and the crowds cheers echoed and vibrated around me, as if they were screaming through pillows. Then it started raining. First a soft tapping, lightly grazing my helmet, then all at once. Rain started pouring as if God himself started to cry. I could hardly see, it was dark ad the visor wasn't helping. I rip the visor off and sling it to the side lines. I look at Logan and he shoots me a smile. The other team was already waiting on the soaking field. Logan and I switch sides, him on the left now, facing Derik and I on the right, facing a smaller, but just as menacing safety. The icy rain was beating down hard on top of my helmet, my jersey and pants were dripping and I was forcing myself not to shiver. I look over my left shoulder to take a glance at Derik, through the pelting rain I could see confusion erupt onto his face. I saw Logan trying not to smirk while Derik's face turned a fire engine red. I turn and look back and a sinking feeling fills my stomach as I remember why we switched in the first place. I face back and keep my head up, eyes forward. I could feel my feet start to sink in the marshy turf, my hands were sweating in my gloves and I forced my legs not to shake, I forced myself not fumble with the strings that held up my pants, I forced myself not to show fear. Even though from the bottom of my cleats to the top of my helmet, fear coursed, through my veins, through arteries, it was sliding through every strand of muscle, poking beneath under my skin, trying to force its way out, to develop me whole. I wasn't going to let it consume me. So I shut down, the only thing I thought about was the snap of the ball, waiting for my moment to finally come. And it came. In a flash of blinding white, the ball was snapped, into Erik's hands, pumped toward Logan, then turning towards me, released. Spiral. Spiraling, like a perfect ballerina, delicate yet it always had some meaning behind it, behind the music, behind the dance. Football was no different, each throw, each juke, each tackle had a meaning, each scar, each bruise, each broken bone, was proof of the meaning, proof that you were willing enough to go after your goal and this was mine. I hit the safety, not watching to see if he fell onto the swampy turf but instead forcing myself to look into the night sky for a spiraling ball, a ball that was supposed to enter into my hands, and it did just that. I pressed the ball close to my chest, never letting go. I sprint, I can't see anything, only a bright light at the end of the field tunnel vision. I weave, I jump over bodies that fall into the flood, I run. I run, even though my side are screaming, my throat burns for more oxygen, my heart beating so fast, I thought I would explode. Then a mountain of a man comes in front of me and without thinking I smash into him, he goes tumbling, just like an avalanche, a sweaty avalanche but almost the same. I dive over the end zone line and slide through the turf when the buzzer rings. I lay there. The football still clutched in my grasp, my undershirt soaking up water. I'm pulled up and surrounded by guys, mu brothers. We hoot and holler screaming so much and loud we'll all be hoarse by tomorrow. I unclip my helmet as I'm being raised onto Logan's and Erik's shoulders. They carry me over to coach where a student snaps photos. The crowd's cheers drown out the sore loss from the Eagles. We won, we were going to the playoffs.

So sorry about the long update, I was busy with tests and Netflix ( Netflix is very time consuming ) and I'll try not to let it happen again. I hope you enjoy this it can you tell me in the comment who you think is the best character and which character do you hate the most. Thanks, I just really want to know. Have a great day, bye!