Before the field

The song is called In the air tonight, by Phil Collins. I just love the lyrics, I feel like it explains this chapter really well. I hope you enjoy.

Breathe. I run with the group of guys, then surrounding me, blocking me in, protecting me. I jump up and slap the Play Like Champions sign and run into the cold nights air, the icy wind slapping in my face. I take a long look at my surroundings, the stands were so full, people were sitting on the steps and standing on the ramps to the concession stands. Kids were sitting on the laps of parents, or on their shoulders. There were blow horns, cowbells, shakers, the of course the usual screaming and cheering. I saw shirtless guys with W-O-L-F painted on their bare chests, it was pretty cool, but kind of a disturbing sight. I could see thousands of people with WOLF jerseys, I felt my smile widen. I feel something smack into my helmet, I pick up the object and my heart sinks, it was a beer can, someone had threw it at me. Don't say anything. I say to my self. I feel an arm wrap around my waist, turning, I expect it to be Logan but am surprised to come face to face with Erik. Its a subtle move.To others it looked like he was just being nice and cute, which I think he was, but it was also protective. He doesn't look at me, except stares at the crowds and the field. As I'm about to jog into the wildcat head I hear Darius's voice loud and clear, despite the roaring crowds.

"Bro, I will kick your ass if you throw one more thing. I will go up there right now and beat the living day lights out of you!" My hand slaps over my mouth to keep from laughing. I pull away from Erik, hardly noticing him frown.

"It's okay. Really I'm fine, Darius." I say, trying to calm him. He gives me a tight smile, not truly believing me. I feel Erik's presence beside me, Logan following.

"Really, Darius, I'm fine, let's just go kick the others team butts." I say. He gives me a smile, then we both break into gut wrenching laughs. Logan's and Erik share confused and nervous looks. Then they both realize that they hate each other and scoot away. After the laughing dies down, I'm engulfed in darkness. Not pitch black, but close. We were in the Wildcat head. My pulse quickens, my breaths turn ragged. The game felt so close but so far away. This was the biggest game of the year. This would determine if we would make it to states. I feel hot bodies press up against me, the inflatable walls were coming towards me, the whole space seemed to bee shrinking. My breaths comes out in short rugged huffs. The see of people start to blur together. Creating one mass of glowing maroon and white. I want to sit down. No, I have to sit down. I grip the nearest persons shoulder, who happens to be Erik, and use him for support. One of my legs go out, making me slump on Erik who quickly grips my waist, holding me up.

" You okay?" His green eyes shinning bright in the dark.

Before I can answer the announcers voice booms across the wild stadium.

"Welcome, to our final game!" I hear. Then in sort of a whisper, " Well I hope not, but you get the idea." I can't help but shake my head and chuckle a little. Th e feeling in my leg was coming back, which was good. The announcer continues.

"Its Homecoming!" One announcer 1 says.
" I know, its finally here." Announcer 2 replies.
" You're just waiting for the after parties and food." 1 says.
2 chuckles" You guessed it."

"Well lets get the
is game started!" Both of them shout.

"Let welcome our boys, the Wildcats!" Thats our cue. Erik, who's now up front, rips through the banner, us following behind. I look straight forward. I hated looking at the crowd, not because I didn't like them, I loved them, but i would always duck my head and blush. I'm not a social person. Don't get me wrong, I'll talk to people, but I wouldn't fully engage. But if you talked crap about my friends, boy I will get all up in your space. As we reach the 50 yard line, the announcer voices comes back.

"And welcome our....girl, too." I hear him nervously chuckle. Awkward. We move into our stretch lines and began warming up. I glance over at the other team, big mistake. Not one of them are shorter than 6'0 feet. I'm screwed. Just shoot me now, end my suffering. After that we huddle up, all of us forming a ocean around Coach, who stands in the middle of us all, like a strong island. He looks around at us.

"Yeah I know, they're big. They're really big, they're really good. They are talented. And they will do anything to beat you." He looks at me and presses his lips together to form a thin white line.

"They will cut you down. They want to beat you. They want to win. The question is do you want to win?" He asks, no joking, no grin, just seriousness.

"Yeah." I hear.

"How bad do you want it? I don't want kinda, I want your full effort, everything you got, till the end, till the whole game is finished. Don't only go half way. All the way or nothing. I want your best, anything less, get out. If you aren't going to push yourself, don't play. Start strong, finish strong."

He says. I can only focus on his words, everything else was shut out. The crowds the other team, gone. Just us, the Wildcats.

"You ready?" Coach shouts.

We all stand up, clipping our helmets on and adjusting socks and jerseys. I hear 'yeah' and 'yes'.

Erik pushes his way into the middle and raises his fist up, we all follow.

"DUB on three." He says.

As the countdown begins I think to myself 'I'm one lucky girl'. I wouldn't miss this game for the world.

"DUB!""

I'm so sorry that this is so short. I had writers block an I've been really busy. Think of this as a small Christmas gift. Have a wonderful day. And Merry Christmas🎁🎄