37

My fingers tapped away at the steering wheel as I weaved through endless traffic. This couldn't possibly be happening. I called Tannar. Dial tone.

"Goddamn it!" In the frustration of the moment I chucked my phone into the passenger seat, where it finally landed in the floorboard. After a few moments of deafening silence it began ringing. "Shit." I could feel it at my fingertips as I dodged car after car racing to the airport. "Hello, ugh, hello? Can you hear me?"

"He's stable, but still unconscious. I'm sure he'll be awake by the time you arrive. Would you like to speak to him? Well, I can put the phone to his ear anyway."

"That would be great." I paused while the phone was moved. The static leaving a weird feeling in my body. After a second I heard a faint 'go ahead' and all of the nerves I had originally felt before had rushed back into my body. "I'm so disappointed in you. But I don't blame you for what's happened. I was at fault. I should have messaged you sooner. Fuck, I should have shown up on your doorstep and asked to talk. This never should have happened. I'll be there soon." The phone shifted again.

"See you soon." Dial tone. I jolted upright. It had been two days since I'd watched Lannan's video. Tannar had answered his phone the one time I got any answer. He was simply gone. No one has heard from him and he left no paper trail. It was as if he disappeared. Nikki refused to talk to me and half the world was blaming me for his sudden absence. I slid the blankets off my body and headed to the kitchen where my dad sat waiting.

"Sam, sit down." My heart rate began to pick up. Once I was in my seat he gave a small smile. "I know something has been different. I'm not sure what it is and I don't expect you to tell your old man. Whatever it is, or whoever it is, seems to be important. Since they're taking up your time." I sighed and nodded. "Then talk to them."

"I don't know how."

"You say how you feel."

"I don't know how I feel."

"Then baby, that's something you need to figure out. I know a lot has been different since your mom passed, but you can't let that dictate your entire life. You can't pass up on opportunities or good things because you're scared." And I knew he was right. I had let fear stand in the way of almost everything in my life. I lived in my comfort zone and that was my biggest imperfection.

"I can't give up Wichita for this. I've worked my ass off the last four years so I could go there to make you and momma proud. I got the grades. I excelled in sports. There's no way I can just throw it all away." He sat for a moment. As if he was digesting everything I had just thrown at him.

"We are proud. We might not say it enough but we are." Dad was keen on using the term 'we' even though it has been years since mom graced us with her presence. She moved his world. Hell, she was his world. That led me to think, what if Lannan could be mine?

Maybe it was out of ignorance or pure selfishness but I knew I needed to talk to him. To just have a discussion. Nothing could ever be as it was before so what did I really have to lose? I dialed Tannar's number and called her. After the fourth ring she picked up.

"Have you found Lannan yet?" She sighed in frustration.

"Not yet, Sam. You'll be the first person I tell. Besides our mom who is freaking out. The only thing we do know is that he hopped on a flight somewhere. If I know my brother, he's on his way to you." My heart fluttered or skipped a beat. I was so nervous I couldn't tell which one. "You'll tell him to come home won't you?"

"Of course, Tannar. I never planned on asking to leave Australia. If anything were to have ever worked, I would have been okay with long distance. I couldn't ask him to leave his family. I had to lose a piece of mine to know how much it means. "

"If I'm being honest, you're the nicest girl that my brother has somewhat been with. Ilsa was wonderful but I knew they were better off as friends. Will you let me know if she shows?" I heard my father call for me from the living room.

"Absolutely. I'll talk to you soon." We bud our goodbyes and I rushed into the living room. I could hear him from around the corner.

"I don't know what happened nor will I ask. All I want to know is that you will treat my daughter in the way she deserves." That's when I heard his voice.

"Yes, sir." I flew around the corner as tears began to well up in my eyes.

"Lannan." I whispered softly.