Chapter Fourteen

A few weeks had passed and Lannan was right. His family seemed to adore me, but they seemed to enjoy embarrassing Lannan with childhood pictures more. They told amazing stories about their travels and the details were extravagant. They were humbled people.

Australia was such a beautiful place, and it always felt like there was more to explore. Lannan decided it would be his only quest to make sure I visit all of the important sites. The Opera house was to die for. Growing up it had always been on my bucket list (which seemed a bit excessive) to visit. I guess I can blame that on my love for Scooby-Doo and how much I adored the movie where they visit Australia.

At our visit to the historic site I had let it slip that I'd previously made a bucket list of almost 100 things that I wanted to do before it was my time to go. Lannan asked me about every single thing and I was open to tell him. With the exception of one tally mark on my list. It was something I had never told anyone, and even with how attached Lannan and I were, it was nearly impossible to tell him. But with Lannan, it was impossible to even take a breath. He wanted me to experience every delicacy of life, and for that, I was more than grateful.

"Lan, can I ask you a question?" My eyes met his as I clung to his side on the couch in his apartment.

"Anything, babe." He focused his attention halfway on the game that was playing on the television.

"Do you have a bucket list?" He glanced down at me and laughed. "Lannan, I'm being serious. You wanna go the extra mile for me, let me do the same." He shut the tv off and rested his hands on my arms as I sat up. "If you could do anything right now, what would it be?"

"Cuddle with my girlfriend." I rolled my eyes and nudged his side with my elbow.

"I'm serious." It was his turn to roll his eyes as a small whimper left my lips.

"Okay, okay." He thought for a second before snapping his fingers. "Chicken tenders." Raising an eyebrow, I moved slightly away from him. "Let me explain. My whole life, I've avoided eating chicken tenders because of one bad experience as a kid. I got a raw chickie tender and it's traumatized me. I'd like to try them again."

"Then let's go!" We spent the next half hour searching for a joint that served not good, but the best chicken tenders one could get their hands on. Considering I was from America and Lannan hadn't touched a chicken tender in years, we began to lose hope as we came to one last final stop. "This would be so much easier in America."

"Australia has good food too, babe." I giggled and linked my arm with his.

"I never said it didn't. But you haven't lived until you've tasted the spiciest chicken down south. Or had fresh seafood from a food truck in Florida. Have you ever had a fried fish taco?" Lannan laughed.

"I have never had a fried fish taco." I gasped as we continued walking.

"I'm not saying America is the greatest, but by all means, we have some damn good food. And you know where you find the best food?" Lan shook his head. "Small diners. Food trucks. Not the fancy restaurants. Bobby's Burgers and Hots serves the best burger you will ever taste. And most people don't even know it exist." We finally made it inside the restaurant and decided that we were too hungry to continue our search. So whatever chicken tenders this restaurant had to offer, we were gonna take it.

"My name is Melissa and I'll be your waitress tonight. Can I start you off with some drinks?" Lannan ordered a beer and I ordered water. Not my usual taste, but I couldn't help but notice how "Melissa's" eyes lingered on Lan just a tad bit too long.

"Water? Don't you usually get Dr. Pepper or something?" I nodded following it with a shrug. "Everything okay?"

"Just thinking about how excited I am for you to try some chicken tenders." He smiles and went back to looking over the menu.

"Honey mustard? Buffalo? Ranch? What dipping sauce do I get?" I raised an eyebrow, knowing full well he preferred ranch and I preferred buffalo.

"Ranch. As always." Melissa returned with our drinks and quickly took our order. Two chicken tender meals one with ranch and one with buffalo.

"My parents love you." Lannan said leaning forward and grabbing my hands from across the table. "My dad even said he can't wait to have a new daughter-in-law." A smile broke across my face as I glanced down. Attempting to hide the blush that had crept its way onto my cheeks. "Sammie Eacott doesnt sound too bad."

     "Well now Mr. Eacott, are you gonna be like the military boys and propose after two months?" I said with a wink. Lannan rolled his eyes.

     "Cracking jokes, I see. I can't help but imagine you in a white dress. Arms linked with your dad. I'd probably cry. You'd look beautiful. Maybe even be wearing a flower crown. It could be on the beach, right before sunset. The click crew and Nikki as the bridesmaids and groomsmen. It doesn't sound too far fetched if you ask me. Clearly not right now, but maybe in our future." What Lannan didn't know is that I had already imagined everything he was saying. I could imagine myself walking down the aisle, my dad at my side.

     I knew Lannan was special. I knew he could fix everything that Jacob had broken. And although part of me could imagine our wedding, the other part could only think of how horrible this will feel when it ends. And that terrified me.